Prove Cauchy sequence & find bounds on limit

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that a given sequence is a Cauchy sequence by showing that it satisfies the property |x_k-x_{k-1}|<10^{-k} for all k. The conversation also suggests using the triangle inequality and an epsilon to prove that the sequence has a limit.
*melinda*
Here's the problem statement:

Prove that [itex]x_1,x_2,x_3,...[/itex] is a Cauchy sequence if it has the property that [itex]|x_k-x_{k-1}|<10^{-k}[/itex] for all [itex]k=2,3,4,...[/itex]. If [itex]x_1=2[/itex], what are the bounds on the limit of the sequence?

Someone suggested that I use the triangle inequality as follows:

let [itex]n=m+l[/itex]
[tex]|a_n-a_m|=|a_{m+l}-a_m|[/tex]
[tex]|a_{m+l}-a_m|\leq |a_{m+l}-a_{m+l-1}|+|a_{m+l-1}-a_{m+l-2}|+...+|a_{m+1}-a_m|[/tex]

Now by hypothesis, [itex]|a_k-a_{k-1}|<10^{-k}[/itex], so

[tex]|a_{m+l}-a_m|<10^{-(m+l)}+10^{-(m+l-1)}+...+10^{-(m+1)}[/tex].

It looks like we have an [itex]\epsilon[/itex] such that [itex]|a_n-a_m|<\epsilon[/itex]. Before we get to the bounds on the limit, is that correct? Is anything missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might take it a little further:

[tex]|a_{m+l}-a_m|<\sum_{i=0}^l 10^{m+l-i}[/tex]

[tex]|a_n-a_m|<\sum_{i=0}^{n-m} 10^{n-i}[/tex]

I'll let a real mathematician help you the rest of the way.

I would agree with this approach and proof. The use of the triangle inequality is a common method to prove the Cauchy sequence property. Additionally, the use of the given hypothesis is crucial in showing that the sequence is indeed Cauchy.

To find the bounds on the limit of the sequence, we can use the definition of a Cauchy sequence. By definition, a Cauchy sequence is a sequence where for any given positive real number \epsilon, there exists a positive integer N such that for all m,n > N, |a_n-a_m|<\epsilon.

In this case, we can choose \epsilon=10^{-k}, where k is a positive integer. From the proof above, we can see that for any m,n > k, |a_n-a_m|<10^{-(m+l)}+10^{-(m+l-1)}+...+10^{-(m+1)}. Since m and n are both greater than k, we can rewrite this as |a_n-a_m|<10^{-(2k-1)}.

Therefore, the bounds on the limit of the sequence are 10^{-k} for any chosen positive integer k. This means that as k increases, the terms in the sequence get closer and closer together, approaching a limit of 0. This confirms that the sequence is indeed Cauchy.

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of numbers where the terms get closer and closer together as the sequence progresses. This means that for any small number, there will be a point in the sequence after which all the terms are within that small number of each other.

2. How can you prove that a sequence is Cauchy?

To prove that a sequence is Cauchy, you must show that for any small number ε, there exists a point in the sequence after which all the terms are within ε of each other. This can be done using the Cauchy criterion, which states that a sequence is Cauchy if and only if the terms get closer and closer together as the sequence progresses.

3. What are the bounds on the limit of a Cauchy sequence?

The limit of a Cauchy sequence can be any real number, as long as the sequence is convergent. This means that the sequence must eventually get closer and closer to the limit as the terms progress. However, there is no upper bound on the limit of a Cauchy sequence, as it can approach infinity or negative infinity.

4. How do you find the bounds on the limit of a Cauchy sequence?

To find the bounds on the limit of a Cauchy sequence, you must first prove that the sequence is Cauchy. Then, you can use the Cauchy criterion to show that the terms of the sequence approach a certain value as the sequence progresses. This value will be the limit of the sequence, and there are no specific bounds on this limit.

5. What are some real-life applications of Cauchy sequences?

Cauchy sequences have many applications in mathematics and science. They are commonly used in calculus to define the concept of continuity and to prove the intermediate value theorem. They also have applications in physics, engineering, and computer science, such as in the study of oscillations and signal processing. Additionally, Cauchy sequences are used in economics and finance to model the fluctuations of prices and interest rates.