Proving Continuity of F(x) Without the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

• Thread starter Vespero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, the conversation discusses proving the continuity of F(x) = ∫f(t)dt from a to x without using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. It is shown that F(x) is continuous if and only if F(a+h)-F(a) goes to zero as h goes to zero for each a, and this is achieved by finding an upper bound for F(a+h)-F(a). The proof involves using the properties of integrals and taking the limit as x approaches c. The proof also addresses some potential errors and clarifies the concepts of integrability and boundedness.
Vespero

Homework Statement

Without using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus:

Let f be continuous on the compact interval [a,b].
Show that F(x) = ∫f(t)dt from a to x.

Homework Equations

We know that if f is continuous on [a,b], then f is integrable.
If a function is differentiable, it is continuous.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I am just being blinded by not being able to use the FTC, and that this is a fairly simple problem. I am just not sure exactly where to start. If I could show that F(x) was differentiable, then it must be continuous, but I can't think of a way to do that without the FTC. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The FToC is overkill here. F(x) is continuous if and only if F(a+h)-F(a) goes to zero as h goes to zero for each a. Write down what F(a+h) and F(a) are, and try to find an upper bound for F(a+h)-F(a)

I'd try to use

[tex]F(x) - F(c) = \int_c^x f(t) dt[/tex]

in the [tex]\epsilon-\delta[/tex] definition. You don't exactly need the FTC, but you could use either the mean-value theorem or maybe just a crude Riemannian approximation to the value of the integral.

That's what I ended up doing. I forgot we covered several of the properties of integrals that make that statement valid. It allowed me to show that |F(c)-F(x)| <= M(c-x), which causes |F(c)-F(x)| to converge to 0 as x approaches c.

The entirety of the proof as I have written it is as follows:

Since f(x) is continuous on [a,b], then f(x) is integrable on [a,b] (Theorem.) Since f(x) is integrable on [a,b], f(x) is bounded (Theorem.) That is, there exists a number M such that |f(x)| <= M.

Choosing a value x in [a,b],
|F(c)-F(x)| = |int(a,c)f(t)dt - int(a,x)f(t)dt| <= int(x,c)|f(t)|dt <= int(x,c)Mdt = M(c-x)

Assuming c > x and taking the limit as x approaches c, we see that
lim(x-->c) |F(c)-F(x)| <= lim(x-->c) M(c-x) = 0

But |F(c)-F(x)| must be non-negative, so
lim(x-->c) |F(c)-F(x)| = 0.

Therefore, F(x) = int(a,x)f(t)dt is continuous at every point x in [a,b] and is thus continuous on [a,b] by the definition of continuity on an interval.
If you see anything that doesn't follow or that is superfluous, could you point it out or give a suggestion as to a better way to have the proof flow?

Vespero said:
Since f(x) is integrable on [a,b], f(x) is bounded (Theorem.)

This isn't true. For example 1/sqrt(x) is integrable on [0,1]. f(x) is bounded on [a,b] because f(x) is continuous

Choosing a value x in [a,b],
|F(c)-F(x)| = |int(a,c)f(t)dt - int(a,x)f(t)dt| <= int(x,c)|f(t)|dt <= int(x,c)Mdt = M(c-x)

It really should be M|c-x| here since you don't know which is larger. You have to be a little bit careful when you write int(x,c)|f(t)|dt because you might have just said a non-negative number is smaller than a negative number. It's best to leave the absolute value signs on the outside as well
[tex] |F(c)-F(x)|\leq |\int_x^c |f(t)|dt | \leq |\int_x^c M dt| = |M(c-x)|[/tex]

Office_Shredder said:
This isn't true. For example 1/sqrt(x) is integrable on [0,1]. f(x) is bounded on [a,b] because f(x) is continuous.

By integrable, I mean Riemann integrable, which is what we are using at the moment. 1/sqrt(x) isn't Riemann integrable on [0,1], as it isn't continuous and bounded on that interval. However, f(x) is continuous on [a,b], so it is Riemann integrable, which implies that it is bounded. I should have said Riemann integrable. Is this correct?

Office_Shredder said:
It really should be M|c-x| here since you don't know which is larger. You have to be a little bit careful when you write int(x,c)|f(t)|dt because you might have just said a non-negative number is smaller than a negative number. It's best to leave the absolute value signs on the outside as well
[tex] |F(c)-F(x)|\leq |\int_x^c |f(t)|dt | \leq |\int_x^c M dt| = |M(c-x)|[/tex]

I do agree here. I should have been paying more attention to that. Thanks.

1. What is continuity in mathematics?

Continuity is a mathematical concept that describes the smoothness or connectedness of a function. A function is said to be continuous if its graph can be drawn without any breaks or gaps, meaning that the values of the function change continuously as the input values change.

2. How do you prove continuity of a function?

To prove continuity of a function, you need to show that the function satisfies the three conditions of continuity: 1) the function is defined at the given point, 2) the limit of the function exists at that point, and 3) the limit and the value of the function at that point are equal.

3. Can a function be continuous at a single point but not on the entire interval?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be continuous at a single point but not on the entire interval. This is known as pointwise continuity, where the function is continuous at each individual point, but not necessarily on the entire interval.

4. What is the importance of proving continuity of a function?

Proving continuity of a function is important because it ensures that the function is well-behaved and does not have any sudden discontinuities or jumps. This allows for the function to be used in various mathematical calculations and applications with confidence.

5. Are there different types of continuity?

Yes, there are different types of continuity, such as pointwise continuity, uniform continuity, and differentiability. These types of continuity have slightly different definitions and conditions, but they all relate to the smoothness and connectedness of a function.