Proving Divisibility: A Corrected Proof and Tips for Improvement

In summary, two individuals discuss a statement that states if m is equal to dn and m is a divisor of an, then d must also be a divisor of a. The first individual had a proof but it was incorrect, but they have now revised it and provided a corrected proof. The second individual reviews the proof and deems it adequate and the first individual expresses their satisfaction in coming up with the correct proof. They then move on to discussing other proofs.
wubie
Hello,

I am supposed to prove or disprove this statement:

Let m,d,n,a be non-zero integers. If m = dn, and if m|an, then d|a.

I had a proof but I made an error. Stay tuned for my revised proof.

Ok! Here is my corrected proof:

By definition:

An integer "a", is a divisor/factor of an integer "b" if

b = ax for some integer x.

If "m" is a divisor of "an" then there must be an x such that

an = mx for some integer x.

If m = dn then

an = dnx for some integer x.

By laws of cancellation,

a = dx for some integer x.

Therefore by definition, "d" is a divisor of "a" since

a = dx for some integer x.

Is this an adequate proof? If adequate, is there anything I can do to make this proof better? Any input is appreciated. Thankyou.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a good proof to me.

I'm impressed!

Thanks for checking it out Ivy. I really appreciate it.

I know it's a pretty Mickey Mouse proof, but it is pretty satisfying to come up with a correct proof by oneself.

Now onto more proofs.

Cheers.

1. What is the importance of proving divisibility?

Proving divisibility is important because it allows us to determine if one number is evenly divisible by another, which is useful in various mathematical calculations and problem-solving.

2. What is a corrected proof in relation to divisibility?

A corrected proof is a revised or improved version of a proof that was previously incorrect or incomplete. In the context of divisibility, a corrected proof would be one that accurately demonstrates the divisibility relationship between two numbers.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving divisibility?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving divisibility include assuming that a number is divisible by another without proper justification, using incorrect mathematical operations, and making assumptions about divisibility without considering all possible factors.

4. How can I improve my skills in proving divisibility?

Some tips for improving your skills in proving divisibility include practicing with various numbers and types of divisibility problems, double-checking your work for accuracy, and seeking help or guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed.

5. What are some strategies for proving divisibility?

There are several strategies for proving divisibility, such as using divisibility rules, prime factorization, and mathematical induction. It is important to choose a strategy that best fits the given problem and to show all steps and reasoning clearly in the proof.