1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove e^ln(a)*b = a^b

1. Jan 31, 2016 #1
    Prove e^[ln(a)*b] = a^b

I understand perfectly why e^ln(x) = x ... and ....I see why it works numerically but I can't justify it in terms of proof? I'd be satisfied if I could dilute this into some other proofs I'm familiar with like exponent properties such as c^(a+b) = (c^a)*(c^b) but I can't seem to figure it out intuitively.. searching the internet hasn't yielded a desired answer either.

Edit: Nvm... e^(ab) = (e^a)^b so then (e^ln(a))^b = a^b

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2016 #2
    It will make sense only in terms of the definition of ln(x) and exp(x) being inverse operations.

Intuition with inverse operations and functions is a bit different from what you may be used to.

It's more like (sin(arcsin(x)) = x

4. Jan 31, 2016 #3
    Yea I was doing a problem that had gotten simplified down to y = (1/2) e^[(ln(10/5))*t] and couldn't figure out how they got to y= (1/2)*10^(t/5) but then I remembered x^(ab) = (x^a)^b... ln and exp make intuitive sense to me since log base e of e... I just hit a psychological blocker since I had to apply too many rules at once.

5. Jan 31, 2016 #4

Ssnow

Gold Member

Start observing that ## \left(\ln{a}\right)\cdot b=\ln{a^{b}}##...

6. Jan 31, 2016 #5
    Well the exponent has to stay inside the ln function so you end up with e^(ln(a^b)) but then I suppose a^b would drop down, so yea that would work too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook