Help Needed: Proving an Exercise Involving (1+sqrt(3))(2n+1)

• Thread starter penguin007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, the exercise involves proving the identity (1+sqrt(3))(2n+1) = 2n + 2sqrt(3)n + 1. Proving this exercise is important for strengthening understanding of algebraic identities and building problem-solving skills. The steps involved in proving this exercise include simplifying and manipulating the expression using algebraic properties, and showing that the left side is equal to the right side. Some tips for solving this exercise include familiarizing oneself with algebraic properties, practicing simplification, paying attention to details, and working backwards if stuck. While there are other methods for solving this exercise, algebraic manipulation is the most common and efficient method.
penguin007
Hi everyone,

I'm studying an exercise and I got stuck. Indeed, I was asked to prove that:

E((1+sqrt(3))(2n+1))=(1+sqrt(3))(2n+1)-(sqrt(3)-1)(2n+1)

and I admit I haven't got a clue how to do it.

Any indication is welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a probability question? What distribution is involved?

No, it's not a probability question actually. E is the integer part of a number.

1. What is the exercise involving (1+sqrt(3))(2n+1)?

The exercise involves proving the identity (1+sqrt(3))(2n+1) = 2n + 2sqrt(3)n + 1.

2. Why is it important to prove this exercise?

Proving this exercise is important because it helps to solidify understanding of algebraic identities and how they can be manipulated. It also builds problem-solving skills and logical reasoning abilities.

3. What are the steps involved in proving this exercise?

The steps involved in proving this exercise are:
1. Start with the left side of the identity and use algebraic properties to simplify it.
2. Apply the distributive property to expand the expression.
3. Combine like terms and rearrange the terms to match the right side of the identity.
4. Use the associative and commutative properties to further manipulate the expression.
5. Finally, show that the left side of the identity is equal to the right side, thus proving the exercise.

4. What are some tips for solving this exercise?

Some tips for solving this exercise are:
1. Familiarize yourself with the algebraic properties and how they can be applied.
2. Practice simplifying and manipulating algebraic expressions.
3. Pay attention to the details and be careful with your calculations.
4. If you get stuck, try working backwards from the right side of the identity to see how it can be transformed into the left side.

5. Can this exercise be solved using other methods besides algebraic manipulation?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to solve this exercise, such as using geometric or graphical representations. However, algebraic manipulation is the most common and efficient method for solving this exercise.