1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove f>=0 almost everywhere

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If {f_n} is a collection of measurable functions defined on R and satisfying: |f_n(x)|<= 1 for all n in N and x in R and f_n(x) >=0 almost everywhere on R for all n in N and f(x) = inf{f_n(x)|n in N}, then f(x) >= 0 almost everywhere on R.

2. Relevant equations

Almost everywhere, sequences of functions, measurability

3. The attempt at a solution

Assume {f_n} is a collection of measurable functions defined on R satisfying the criteria above. Since for all n in N f_n(x) >= 0 a.e on R, define S_n = {x | f_n(x) < 0}. Then by definition for all n in N m(S_n) = 0. Now let [tex] S = \bigcup_{n=1}^\infty S_n. [/tex] Since S is the union of several sets S_n with measure of zero, then m(S) = 0. So, we know f(x) = inf{f_n(x) | n in N} >= 0 for all x in R-S. But m(S) = 0, so f(x) >= 0 almost everywhere, as desired.

I'm wondering if I can necessarily state that the inf of the f_n's will be >= 0. I'm not that great at catching little details like that, so having someone give the proof a quick look-over would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It helps to clarify things if you fix x to be a specific value, say b. If [itex]f_n(b) \geq [/itex] for all values of n, then is [itex] \inf\{f_n(b)} \geq 0[/itex]? This follows immediately from the definition of infimum.

Then conclude that S can only consist of values of x for which at least one fn(x)<0

4. Dec 15, 2011 #3
    Ah! Thanks for the input!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook