1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove f(x)=g(x)

1. Mar 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose f and g are continuous on [a,b] and that f(a)<g(a), but f(b)>g(b). Prove that f(x)=g(x) for some x in [a,b]

2. Relevant equations

We are studying continuous functions and only have 3 theorems. IVT, Boundeness and the fact there is a max value for x.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am having trouble with this function for no other reason but I don't know how to state things.

First I drew out the problem and saw that f(x)=g(x) for some x.

This has to happen based on the IVT at some point the two graphs must cross. I also know that f(x)-g(x)= 0 My issue again is how to put this in a proof that would hold water.

I look at some value f(c) that is between f(a) and f(b). I can do this because of IVT. This would be a point that lies in [a,b] and would map to c. That same point should also be part of g since g is continous on the same interval. How can I argue that g(c)=f(c).

Sorry for sounding dumb. I am having trouble just putting it in words of a valid proof.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2007 #2
    what can you tell me of the function h(x)=g(x)-f(x) in [a,b]?

4. Mar 11, 2007 #3
    You were nearly at your solution!

A lot of tricks dealing with MVTs and similar problems involve using an auxiliary equation to get what you want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?