Proving the Existence of a Number with n Divisors

• Thread starter Mathematicsresear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Existence
In summary, the conversation discusses proving the existence of a number with n divisors, where n is greater than or equal to two. The attempt at a solution uses induction, but there are issues with the understanding of divisors, prime factors, and the relationship between them. The conversation ends with a suggestion to consider how to find a number with 5 divisors and to use that process for the induction step.
Mathematicsresear

Homework Statement

Prove that for every n greater than or equal to two, there exists a number with exactly n divisors.

Homework Equations

I used induction:

The Attempt at a Solution

Base case: assume n=2 which implies there exists a number with 2 divisors, that is the case for all prime numbers.
Now, let me assume that the statement is true for n=k, now I should show that it is true for n=k+1
which means that for every k+1, there exists an integers with exactly k+1 divisors,
k+1=(q_1...q_kq_k+1)
Now since k+1=(kq_k+1), therefore k divides k+1, and so does k+1 divides k+1.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, I assume you mean ##n## to be a natural number or an integer. This makes already a difference, as in one case ##-1## is a divisor, too, not to mentions rationals. Next, please define divisor, as we normally don't call units a divisor, which would exclude ##1## and a prime would be left as a number with only one divisor.

If all that is clear, why do you use induction? And your ##k+1## could have more than one divisor, which would lead to more than ##n=k+1## divisors which is not exactly ##n##. Can you think of another way than induction to proceed? What special property has the number to have, which you add from one induction step to the next? If you figured that out, you don't need induction anymore.

fresh_42 said:
First of all, I assume you mean ##n## to be a natural number or an integer. This makes already a difference, as in one case ##-1## is a divisor, too, not to mentions rationals. Next, please define divisor, as we normally don't call units a divisor, which would exclude ##1## and a prime would be left as a number with only one divisor.

If all that is clear, why do you use induction? And your ##k+1## could have more than one divisor, which would lead to more than ##n=k+1## divisors which is not exactly ##n##. Can you think of another way than induction to proceed? What special property has the number to have, which you add from one induction step to the next? If you figured that out, you don't need induction anymore.
An example of a divisors would be the following: if a is a divisor of b then aIb which means 0=amodb. Furthermore, the question states that the number has n divisors, so I assume it would mean that it is an integer. I am not sure on how to proceed after that.

Mathematicsresear said:

Homework Statement

Prove that for every n greater than or equal to two, there exists a number with exactly n divisors.

Homework Equations

I used induction:

Base case: assume n=2 which implies there exists a number with 2 divisors, that is the case for all prime numbers.
Now, let me assume that the statement is true for n=k, now I should show that it is true for n=k+1
which means that for every k+1, there exists an integers with exactly k+1 divisors,
k+1=(q_1...q_kq_k+1)

Is this correct?

You seem to be confusing the number, the number of divisors and the number of prime factors. None of those things is necessarily equal. The divisors of 12 are 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 12. That's 6 divisors and the product of all of them isn't 12. Try and keep things clear. For a start, can you name a number with exactly 3 divisors?

Likes PeroK
Dick said:
You seem to be confusing the number, the number of divisors and the number of prime factors. None of those things is necessarily equal. The divisors of 12 are 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 12. That's 6 divisors and the product of all of them isn't 12. Try and keep things clear. For a start, can you name a number with exactly 3 divisors?

4 has three divisors, 1,2 and 4.

Mathematicsresear said:
4 has three divisors, 1,2 and 4.

Ok, now give me a number that has all of those divisors and exactly one more.

Dick said:
Ok, now give me a number that has all of those divisors and exactly one more.

8 has divisors 1,2,4 and 8.

Mathematicsresear said:
8 has divisors 1,2,4 and 8.

Does that suggest a way to do an induction step?

Likes Mathematicsresear
Dick said:
Does that suggest a way to do an induction step?

I assume not, could you please explain?

Mathematicsresear said:
I assume not, could you please explain?

How would you give me a number with 5 divisors based on what you've seen so far? Isn't that the same as the process of going from k to k+1? Which is what you want for induction.

Likes Mathematicsresear
Dick said:
How would you give me a number with 5 divisors based on what you've seen so far? Isn't that the same as the process of going from k to k+1? Which is what you want for induction.
I don't think I am able to do such a thing.

Mathematicsresear said:
I don't think I am able to do such a thing.

Here I thought we were doing so well. You can't continue the pattern to find a number with 5 divisors??

Likes PeroK
Dick said:
Here I thought we were doing so well. You can't continue the pattern to find a number with 5 divisors??
I misunderstood, I meant I don't think I am able to use induction to do such a thing. 32 would be an example of a number with 5 divisors.

Mathematicsresear said:
... 32 would be an example of a number with 5 divisors.
No.
Count again.

SammyS said:
No.
Count again.
16 would be an example

Mathematicsresear said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I used induction:

k+1=(q_1...q_kq_k+1)

Is this correct?

Questions:
(1) Do you exclude 1 as a divisor----almost everybody does in these situations.
(2) Do you mean ##n## different divisors? If not, you could take ##N = 2^n## as a number with exactly ##n## divisor, but this was probably not what was intended by the person posing the problem!

Ray Vickson said:
Questions:
(2) Do you mean ##n## different divisors? If not, you could take ##N = 2^n## as a number with exactly ##n## divisor, but this was probably not what was intended by the person posing the problem!

I really don't understand what your point is about 'different' divisors. Are you saying ##2^n## doesn't have ##n## (or ##n+1## depending on whether you count 1) different divisors?

Ray Vickson said:
Questions:
I can't say whether it's "almost everybody" or it's "almost nobody", but following what @Dick points out, and I agree with him, in this case it makes sense to consider that 1 is a divisor.

(I see DIck beat me to it.)

Last edited:
Mathematicsresear said:
16 would be an example

From this thread, I would suggest you haven't completely grasped the concept of induction. For this problem, in fact, you do not need induction. You could try a direct proof:

Let ##n \ge 2##, now all you have to do is find a number with exactly ##n## divisors.

1. What is the definition of a number with n divisors?

A number with n divisors is a positive integer that can be divided evenly by n different numbers without leaving any remainder.

2. How do you prove the existence of a number with n divisors?

To prove the existence of a number with n divisors, we can use the fundamental theorem of arithmetic which states that every positive integer can be uniquely expressed as a product of prime numbers. By finding the prime factorization of a number with n-1 prime factors, we can add 1 to that number to get a new number with n divisors.

3. What is the smallest number with n divisors?

The smallest number with n divisors is 2n-1 as it only has 2 divisors, 1 and itself. This is also known as a prime number.

4. Can a number have an infinite number of divisors?

No, a number cannot have an infinite number of divisors. In fact, the number with the most divisors is 260 which has 61 divisors.

5. Are there any patterns or formulas for finding numbers with a specific number of divisors?

Yes, there are many patterns and formulas for finding numbers with a specific number of divisors. One example is the formula for highly composite numbers, which are numbers with more divisors than any smaller positive integer. This formula is 2n-1 * 3n-2 * 5n-3 * ... * pn1 where pn is the nth prime number.