Prove Identity: Partial Derivatives of Vector & Scalar Functions

• Thread starter matematikuvol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, partial derivatives are a type of derivative used in multivariate calculus to measure how a function changes with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. The partial derivatives of vector functions are calculated by taking the derivative of each component of the vector with respect to the given variable. The chain rule for partial derivatives states that if a function is composed of two functions, the partial derivative can be calculated by multiplying the partial derivatives of the individual functions. Partial derivatives are used in various real-world applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. They can also be taken with respect to multiple variables, known as a partial derivative of higher order.
matematikuvol

Homework Statement

[tex]\frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial q_i}gradf(r)=\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial q_i}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]gradf(r)=\frac{df}{dr}gradr=\frac{df}{dr}\frac{ \vec{r}}{r}=\frac{df}{dr}\vec{r}_0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial q_i}\frac{df}{dr}\vec{r}_0=?[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org

This equation appears to be incorrect. The correct equation should be:

\frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial q_i}\cdot gradf(r) = \frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial q_i}

In this equation, the dot product is used to represent the directional derivative of f(r) in the direction of the change in q_i. This equation is often used in multivariable calculus to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to a specific variable. The equation you provided in your post does not accurately represent this concept.

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative used in multivariate calculus to measure how a function changes with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. They are represented by the symbol ∂ and are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How are partial derivatives of vector functions calculated?

The partial derivatives of vector functions are calculated by taking the derivative of each component of the vector with respect to the given variable. For example, if we have a vector function f(x,y) = (x^2, 2y), then the partial derivatives with respect to x and y would be fx(x,y) = 2x and fy(x,y) = 2.

3. What is the chain rule for partial derivatives?

The chain rule for partial derivatives states that if a function z = f(x,y) is composed of two functions u = g(x,y) and v = h(u), then the partial derivative of z with respect to x can be calculated by multiplying the partial derivatives of u and v with respect to x. This can be represented as ∂z/∂x = (∂u/∂x)(∂v/∂u).

4. How are partial derivatives used in real-world applications?

Partial derivatives are used in various real-world applications, such as in physics to calculate the rate of change of a physical quantity with respect to time, in economics to measure the sensitivity of a variable to changes in other variables, and in engineering to optimize designs and solve complex problems involving multiple variables.

5. Can partial derivatives be taken with respect to multiple variables?

Yes, partial derivatives can be taken with respect to multiple variables. In this case, the partial derivative is calculated by holding all other variables constant except for the one being differentiated with respect to. This is known as a partial derivative of higher order and can be represented by ∂nf/∂xn, where n is the order of the derivative.