Prove if sin(1/x) diverges or converges

• Thread starter kevinnn
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses proving if sin(1/x) diverges or converges as x approaches infinity. The answer is divergent because the function oscillates. The ratio and direct comparison tests are not applicable, but the limit comparison test can be used. It is suggested to compare to the series 1/n or 1/(2n).
kevinnn
I want to prove if sin(1/x) diverges or converges as x approaches infinity. I know the answer is diverge because the function oscillates. I want to prove it more rigorously though, for my own well being and for the exam coming up. I am having trouble with the ratio test and I rewrote the expression as
sin(1/x)[sin^2(1/x) +cos^2(1/x)] to see if it would help but that won't because if I set b equal to sin^2(1/x) +cos^2(1/x) that is not smaller than the original expression of course so I can't use the direct comparison test. I assume I will be using the limit comparison test but I need a little kick start. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
kevinnn said:
I want to prove if sin(1/x) diverges or converges as x approaches infinity. I know the answer is diverge because the function oscillates.
Are you sure about that? What happens to ##1/x## as ##x \rightarrow \infty##?

kevinnn said:
I assume I will be using the limit comparison test but I need a little kick start. Thanks.
Do you know this inequality? ##|\sin(x)| \leq |x|##, valid for all ##x##.

Sin(x) is a bounded function with an upper bound of 1 and a lower bound of -1. As values of x take values close to 0 then sin(x) takes values also close to 0. So in your case when x takes really big values close to infinity what does 1/x take values close to and what does that say for sin(1/x).

Both of you are saying exactly what I thought at first. I thought the function would converge because the limit of 1/x as x approaches infinity is zero. Sine of zero is zero. So I concluded that the sum converges. When I looked at the answer in the back of the book it said the series was divergent. I believed this to be true against my initial intuition when I looked at a graph of the function it does oscillate as x approaches infinity, even when I made the viewing window quite large.
jbunniii, yes I do know that inequality. All these things are the reason I don't see the answer. I need to see clarity in this problem.

What series are you talking about?

The original post only asks about sin(1/x) as x tends to infinity. That has a well defined limit. If you are asking about something such as ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \sin(\frac 1 n)##, that's a very different question than ##\lim_{x\to \infty} \sin(\frac 1 x)##.

I'm sorry. Yes I'm talking about the sum you have written above from n=1 to infinity.

You should have said so in your original post! Be specific when you ask a question. Use the proper notation. We can't read your mind.

Just because sin(1/x) converges to zero as x→∞ (which it does) does not mean that Ʃ sin(1/n) converges (which it doesn't).

kevinnn said:
I'm sorry. Yes I'm talking about the sum you have written above from n=1 to infinity.

If x is very close to zero (like 1/n is for n large) then sin(x) is very close to being x. Look at the graphs near 0. Does that suggest a way to create a comparison series that is smaller but diverges?

Last edited:
The graph near zero is very intense. This is because the function will experiences infinitely many oscillations as it gets closer to zero correct? This problem is confusing. I can't use the alternating series test so my only option would be comparison like you said, correct? So I want a function that will be undefined at zero and most likely involves a trig function that is less than sin(1/n) that I can show the limit as n approaches infinity of this new series diverges. Do I compare it to another sine function? Since it's not an alternating series I know can't use sin(1/(n+1)). Plus, this series converges.

kevinnn said:
The graph near zero is very intense. This is because the function will experiences infinitely many oscillations as it gets closer to zero correct? This problem is confusing. I can't use the alternating series test so my only option would be comparison like you said, correct? So I want a function that will be undefined at zero and most likely involves a trig function that is less than sin(1/n) that I can show the limit as n approaches infinity of this new series diverges. Do I compare it to another sine function? Since it's not an alternating series I know can't use sin(1/(n+1)). Plus, this series converges.

1/n is near 0 for large n. That's where you are concerned with an estimate of sin. I meant look at the graphs of sin(x) and x near 0.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I believe I have the answer though. If I use the limit comparison test with 1/n as my series to compare I get the correct answer. I didn't know that you could use expressions within a trigonometric function as your series to compare.

kevinnn said:
Sorry it took so long to reply. I believe I have the answer though. If I use the limit comparison test with 1/n as my series to compare I get the correct answer. I didn't know that you could use expressions within a trigonometric function as your series to compare.

Any test is free game as long as it works. You could also do a direct comparison test with 1/(2n) since 1/(2n)<=sin(1/n) when n is large.

1. What is the definition of convergence and divergence in mathematics?

Convergence and divergence refer to the behavior of a mathematical sequence or series. A sequence is said to converge if its terms approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. A sequence is said to diverge if its terms do not approach a finite limit.

2. What is the function sin(1/x)?

The function sin(1/x) is a trigonometric function that is defined as the sine of the reciprocal of x. This means that the input of the function is 1/x, and the output is the sine of that value.

3. Does the function sin(1/x) have a limit as x approaches 0?

No, the function sin(1/x) does not have a limit as x approaches 0. This is because as x approaches 0, the input of the function approaches infinity, and the sine function oscillates between -1 and 1, never settling on a specific value.

4. How can we determine if sin(1/x) diverges or converges?

We can use the limit definition of divergence to determine if sin(1/x) diverges or converges. If the limit of sin(1/x) as x approaches 0 does not exist or is infinite, then the function diverges. If the limit exists and is a finite value, then the function converges.

5. What is the limit of sin(1/x) as x approaches 0?

The limit of sin(1/x) as x approaches 0 does not exist. This means that the function sin(1/x) diverges and does not approach a finite limit as the input approaches 0.