1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove if T is a Tensor

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    A tensor T operates on a vector a and gives:

Ta=a/(magnitude)a

Is this a tensor?

given previous examples of such questions I know that if Ta=3a then T(a+b)=3(a+b)=3a+3b. So I have an idea of how to solve these

Well by looking at what I have if I substituted just like the examples I come up with

T(a+b)=(a+b)/(magnitude) (a+b)

Given this I belive that it isn't a tensor, but should I solve further for the magnitude which will be the square root of vector "a+b". Somehow I am not certain though, should I set T(b) equal to an equation? I am just confused please help
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, what definition of "tensor" are you using? And what would Ta be if the magnitude of a were 0?

4. Sep 20, 2010 #3
    A tensor transforms a vector into another vector, just like a
    dyad. T assigns to an arbitrary vector a to another vector, denoted by Ta and it must satisfy T(au + bv) = aTu + bTv

I believe it would also be for all values other than zero

5. Sep 20, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So far, you have just said that a tensor is a linear transformation- and not all linear transformations are tensors. The crucial point is in that phrase "just like a dyad". What does that mean?

6. Sep 20, 2010 #5
    HI, dear all,

I am very sorry to post my question here since I cannot find where to start a new thread ...sorry ..

Currently I am reading the paper "spatial scan statistics: approximation and performance study " and confused with section 4.1. I read many times , but still cannot get the meaning how the formula of (4.2) come from and why hi=p /4 can give a very good approximation for the convex function? could you guide me which mathematic theoretic background I should read or...how to understand this part? Futhermore, in fact,I cannot relate lemma 4.2 to the part of explaination using Figure 3 (a),(b).

This paper --spatial scan statistics: approximation and performance study (authors: Deepal Agarwal, Andrew McGregor, etc.) , can be downloaded on website from google searching....

Hope can helpe me to figure out !

thanks !
    linsey

7. Sep 20, 2010 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is a "New Topic" button just below the title of each category.

8. Sep 20, 2010 #7
    I GOT IT! I was looking in way to deep into this equation. In a way you check if it is linear and substitute in another variable. Very easy! Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook