1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove if two vectors are finite-dimensional then there is no 1-to-1 linear transforma

1. Jul 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove: If V and W are finite-dimensional vector spaces such that dim(W)<dim(V), then there is no one-to-one linear transformation T:V-->W

3. The attempt at a solution
    I dont know how to do a well thought out proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: Prove if two vectors are finite-dimensional then there is no 1-to-1 linear transf

Hi hannahlu92! :smile:

The first thing you should do with such a statement is trying to find concrete examples. Can you find examples of V and W such that dim(V)<dim(W). Is it true that there doesn't exist such a one-to-one map for these examples? (I.e. is it inuitively true).

Then, to actually start proving it, you'll need to unwind the concept. What does dimension mean? What does one-to-one mean? Can we find some connection between the definition of dimension and the concept of one-to-one maps?

4. Jul 13, 2011 #3
    Re: Prove if two vectors are finite-dimensional then there is no 1-to-1 linear transf

thank you for taking the time to try and help me. My final is tomorrow and I still can't understand Linear Algebra

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook