1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove inequality

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove [tex]\frac{a^{n+1}}{b+c}+\frac{b^{n+1}}{a+c}+\frac{c^{n+1}}{a+b}=(\frac{a^{n}}{b+c}+\frac{b^{n}}{a+c}+\frac{c^{n}}{a+b})*\sqrt[n]{\frac{a^{n}+b^{n}+c^{n}}{3}}[/tex]
    if n>=1 and a,b,c [tex]\in\textsl{R}_{+}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried prove it i some ways but i think any of it don't approach me to solution. I need a clue, don't give me solution.

PS sorry for my english

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Clue: mathematical induction

4. Oct 31, 2009 #3
    Mathematical Induction is a method of proving a series of mathematical statement labelled by natural numbers

5. Oct 31, 2009 #4

Mark44

Right, and aren't your values of n natural numbers? There is no such restriction on a, b, and c.

6. Oct 31, 2009 #5
    I get

[tex]a^{2}+b^{2}+c^{2}\geq ab+bc+ac[/tex] for n=1
    is it true?
    what is next step(i never used mathematical induction before)

if i do it for n=2 it will be proved?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  7. Oct 31, 2009 #6

Mark44

For n = 1 you have to show that
    [tex]\frac{a^{2}}{b+c}+\frac{b^{2}}{a+c}+\frac{c^{2}}{a+b}=(\frac{a^{1}}{b+c}+\frac{b^{1}}{a+c}+\frac{c^{1}}{a+b})*\frac{a^{1}+b^{1}+c^{1}}{3}[/tex]

It is not sufficient to quit after showing that the original statement is true for n = 2.

In mathematical induction, you assume that the statement is true for n = k, and use that to show that the statement is also true for n = k + 1.

8. Oct 31, 2009 #7
    Thanks for helping me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook