What is the Relationship Between inf(S) and -sup(-S)?

• Thread starter SMA_01
  • Start date
In summary, to prove that inf(S)=-sup(-S), we need to show two things: first, that -x is an upper bound of -S, and second, that if y is another upper bound of -S, then -x ≤ y. To prove the first part, we can take an element -s from -S and show that -s ≤ -x, which is true because if -s ∈ -S, then s ∈ S and by definition, x is a lower bound of S.
SMA_01
Prove inf(S)=-Sup(-S)??

Homework Statement

Let S,T be subsets of ℝ, where neither T nor S are empty and both Sup(S) and Sup(T) exist.

Prove inf(S)=-sup(-S).

Starting with =>

I let x=inf(S). Then by definition, for all other lower bounds y of S, x≥y.

I'm stuck at this point...

Any help please?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

You have to show two things:

• -x is an upper bound of -S
  • If y is another upper bound of -S, then [itex]-x\leq y[/itex]

So, in order to prove that -x is an upper bound of -S. Take an element -s from -S and prove [itex]-s\leq -x[/itex]. Why is that true?

I'm not following along, why would -s≤-x? Unless you mean if I multiply both side by (-1), then it would be x≤s? Or am I totally off on a tangent?

SMA_01 said:
I'm not following along, why would -s≤-x? Unless you mean if I multiply both side by (-1), then it would be x≤s? Or am I totally off on a tangent?

If [itex]-s \in -S[/itex], then [itex]s \in S[/itex]. And by definition, [itex]x[/itex] is a lower bound of [itex]S[/itex]...

1. How do you prove that inf(S) is equal to -Sup(-S)?

To prove that inf(S) is equal to -Sup(-S), you need to show that they are both equal to the same number. You can do this by using the definition of infimum and supremum and showing that they both satisfy the same conditions.

2. What is the definition of infimum and supremum?

The infimum of a set S is the greatest lower bound of S, meaning it is the largest number that is less than or equal to all the numbers in S. The supremum of a set S is the least upper bound of S, meaning it is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in S.

3. Can you give an example of a set where inf(S) is equal to -Sup(-S)?

One example of such a set is the set of negative real numbers. The infimum of this set is 0, as it is the greatest lower bound, and the supremum is also 0, as it is the least upper bound when the set is reflected over the y-axis.

4. How does proving inf(S)=-Sup(-S) relate to the completeness axiom?

Proving inf(S)=-Sup(-S) is a way to show that a set S is complete, meaning it contains all its limit points. This is because the completeness axiom states that every nonempty set of real numbers that is bounded above has a least upper bound, and every nonempty set of real numbers that is bounded below has a greatest lower bound.

5. Can you explain why it is important to prove inf(S)=-Sup(-S)?

Proving inf(S)=-Sup(-S) is important because it helps us understand the properties of sets and how they relate to each other. It also allows us to make conclusions about a set based on its infimum and supremum, and it is a fundamental concept in real analysis and mathematical proofs.