1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove integral of complex exp

1. Oct 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the integral of a complex exponential over an integer number of periods is zero.

2. Relevant equations

[itex] \int_{0}^{T_{0}}e^{j (2\pi /T_{0}) kt} dt = 0 , k = integer[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am never sure how to work a proof. In this case, i can see that it would be true but not sure how you go about "proving" it. That the area from 0 to 1/2 T0 would zero out the area from 1/2 T0 to T0. Can someone point me to a good example on how to work this type of proof? or help me through this one?

[itex]\frac{1}{e^{j(2\pi /T_{0})k}}e^{j(2\pi /T_{0})kt} \mid ^{0}_{T_{0}}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would start with substitution to get rid of the variable T0, and consider the case k=1 first.
    You can split the integral in two parts and show that they are equal apart from their sign.

4. Oct 4, 2013 #3
    So would you just say consider T0 = 1, but i would worry that would be like saying that since 2+2 = 4 and 2*2 = 4 therefor addition and multiplication are the same...

5. Oct 4, 2013 #4
    [itex]\frac{e^{j(2\pi /T_{0})kT_{0}}}{j(2\pi/T_{0})k}- \frac{e^0}{j(2\pi/T_{0})k}[/itex]

[itex]e^j\theta = cos\theta +j sin\theta [/itex]

[itex]\frac{cos(2\pi k)+j sin(2\pi k)}{j(2\pi /T_{0})k} - \frac{1}{j(2\pi /T_{0})k}[/itex]

[itex]cos(2\pi k) = 1[/itex]

[itex]j sin(2\pi k) = 0[/itex]

[itex] \frac{1}{j(2\pi /T_{0})k} - \frac{1}{j(2\pi /T_{0})k} = 0[/itex]

Is this sufficient?

6. Oct 4, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's exactly what you want. Though it is true that ##e^{j 2 \pi k}=1## for k an integer, right? Probably no need to go through the sines and cosines.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  7. Oct 5, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Hmm right, my idea was more complicated than necessary. You can simply compute the integral.

No, it is like saying T0/T0=1 for all real T0 (apart from 0). A sound mathematical proof that T0 does not influence the result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted