Proving \sqrt{3} is Irrational

• Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Irrational
In summary: Note that in passing you have also shown that the square of an even number is always divisible by not just 2, but by 4).
Mentallic
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I need to prove that [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] is irrational.

The Attempt at a Solution

The prior problem was to show [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is irrational and the solution had to do with a contradiction that each number must be even or something (frankly, I didn't understand it too well). But I don't see how I can apply the same idea to this one, since evenness is not applicable here.

All i can really do so far is assume [tex]\sqrt{3}=\frac{p}{q}[/tex] where p and q are integers.
Now, by squaring, [tex]3q^2=p^2[/tex].

I am completely lost here though...

Some help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
The proof of case with 2 depends on the fact that either p is divisible by 2 (and then you can show that q is too, which contradicts the assumption that you choose them to be "minimal"), or it is not (and since [itex]2q^2 = p^2[/itex] tells you that it is, you have a contradiction).

The proof for 3 is similar: p is either divisible by 3, and then so is q contradicting our assumption; or p is not divisible by 3 and then it must be divisible by 3 which is also impossible.

Perhaps it is a good idea to go through the proof of the irrationality of [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] once more, and try to find out what part confuses you. Can you try and explain it to us?

With the [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] question the solution says that if [tex]2q^2=p^2[/tex] then [tex]p^2[/tex] is even, thus p is even, so we can put p=2r for integer r, so now we have [tex]2q^2=4r^2[/tex] which also implies that q is even but this is the contradiction.

Actually.. while writing this I tested to see what the difference is for rational cases like [tex]\sqrt{4}[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{9}[/tex]. Yes, now I understand it. It wasn't the evenness of [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]'s example that was special, it was the fact that it was divisible by 2 (the same thing I know :smile:).

Mentallic said:
It wasn't the evenness of [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]'s example that was special, it was the fact that it was divisible by 2 (the same thing I know :smile:).

Yes, in this case it is the same.
But in the general case [itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex], you want to say something about the divisibility by [itex]n[/itex].

(Note that in passing you have also shown that the square of an even number is always divisible by not just 2, but by 4).

Mentallic said:

Homework Statement

I need to prove that [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] is irrational.

The Attempt at a Solution

The prior problem was to show [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is irrational and the solution had to do with a contradiction that each number must be even or something (frankly, I didn't understand it too well). But I don't see how I can apply the same idea to this one, since evenness is not applicable here.

All i can really do so far is assume [tex]\sqrt{3}=\frac{p}{q}[/tex] where p and q are integers.
Now, by squaring, [tex]3q^2=p^2[/tex].

I am completely lost here though...

Some help please?
If you add an additional information that gcd(p,q)=1 , which also means the greatest common divisor of p and q is 1 . However for [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] you can draw the conclusion that the gcd(p,q) is atleast 2 and for [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] gcd(p,q) is atleast 3. In fact you can prove a generalised one analogously which states the [tex]\sqrt{prime}[/tex] will lead you to gcd(p,q) is atleast the prime number , yet definition of prime states it cannot be 1 , will leads to the irrationality of all prime.

What is the definition of an irrational number?

An irrational number is a number that cannot be written as a ratio of two integers, meaning it cannot be expressed as a fraction. These numbers have decimal representations that never terminate or repeat.

What is the proof that √3 is irrational?

The proof that √3 is irrational is a famous mathematical proof known as the "proof by contradiction." It involves assuming that √3 is rational, and then using logical steps to reach a contradiction, thereby proving that the assumption is false. This ultimately proves that √3 is indeed irrational.

Why is it important to prove that √3 is irrational?

Proving that √3 is irrational (and other irrational numbers) is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the nature of numbers and their relationships. It also has practical applications in fields such as geometry, where irrational numbers are used to represent quantities such as side lengths and diagonal lengths of squares and triangles.

Can you give an example of how irrational numbers are used in real life?

One example of irrational numbers being used in real life is in the construction and measurement of structures. For instance, the diagonal of a square with a side length of 1 unit is √2, an irrational number. This means that in order to accurately measure and construct the diagonal, irrational numbers must be understood and used.

Are there other ways to prove that √3 is irrational?

Yes, there are other ways to prove that √3 is irrational, such as using the Euclidean algorithm or the unique factorization theorem. However, the proof by contradiction is the most commonly used and well-known method for proving the irrationality of numbers.