1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove irrational

1. Mar 13, 2010 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to prove that [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] is irrational.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The prior problem was to show [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is irrational and the solution had to do with a contradiction that each number must be even or something (frankly, I didn't understand it too well). But I don't see how I can apply the same idea to this one, since evenness is not applicable here.

All i can really do so far is assume [tex]\sqrt{3}=\frac{p}{q}[/tex] where p and q are integers.
    Now, by squaring, [tex]3q^2=p^2[/tex].

I am completely lost here though...

Some help please?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The proof of case with 2 depends on the fact that either p is divisible by 2 (and then you can show that q is too, which contradicts the assumption that you choose them to be "minimal"), or it is not (and since [itex]2q^2 = p^2[/itex] tells you that it is, you have a contradiction).

The proof for 3 is similar: p is either divisible by 3, and then so is q contradicting our assumption; or p is not divisible by 3 and then it must be divisible by 3 which is also impossible.

Perhaps it is a good idea to go through the proof of the irrationality of [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] once more, and try to find out what part confuses you. Can you try and explain it to us?

4. Mar 13, 2010 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

With the [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] question the solution says that if [tex]2q^2=p^2[/tex] then [tex]p^2[/tex] is even, thus p is even, so we can put p=2r for integer r, so now we have [tex]2q^2=4r^2[/tex] which also implies that q is even but this is the contradiction.

Actually.. while writing this I tested to see what the difference is for rational cases like [tex]\sqrt{4}[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{9}[/tex]. Yes, now I understand it. It wasn't the evenness of [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]'s example that was special, it was the fact that it was divisible by 2 (the same thing I know :smile:).

5. Mar 13, 2010 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, in this case it is the same.
    But in the general case [itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex], you want to say something about the divisibility by [itex]n[/itex].

(Note that in passing you have also shown that the square of an even number is always divisible by not just 2, but by 4).

6. Mar 13, 2010 #5

If you add an additional information that gcd(p,q)=1 , which also means the greatest common divisor of p and q is 1 . However for [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] you can draw the conclusion that the gcd(p,q) is atleast 2 and for [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] gcd(p,q) is atleast 3. In fact you can prove a generalised one analogously which states the [tex]\sqrt{prime}[/tex] will lead you to gcd(p,q) is atleast the prime number , yet definition of prime states it cannot be 1 , will leads to the irrationality of all prime.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook