1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove is countable

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that [tex] \mathbb Z^{+} X \: \mathbb Z^{+} X \: \mathbb Z^{+} [/tex] is countable, where X is the Cartesian product.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm lost as to where to start proving this.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2
    do you know how to prove this

[tex] \mathbb Z^{+} X \: \mathbb Z^{+} [/tex]

is countable?
  4. Sep 17, 2010 #3
    There are many ways to do this you show that there it bijection from N to ZxZ ,that is , ZxZ is countable. Then show that there is bijection from ZxZ to ZxZxZ.

someone beat me to it.
  5. Sep 17, 2010 #4
    I had to prove that [tex] \mathbb Z^{+} \: X \: Z^{+} \: \rightarrow \: Z^{+} [/tex] was one-one and onto using [tex] f(a,b)=2^{a-1}(2b-1)[/tex], does that count for proving it's countable, and if it's not, no I don't know how to prove it's countable.

The class I'm taking is a giant leap from Calc 4, and Abstract Algebra isn't even pre-req though it probably should be because the professor keeps asking who's taking it before.
  6. Sep 17, 2010 #5
    Yes, that is a bijection. So you have already shown the first part all you need to do provide a bijection from ZxZxZ to ZxZ .
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook