1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove [itex]C[a,b][/itex] a closed linear subspace of [itex]L^{\infty}[a,b][/itex]

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1

jgens

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex][a,b][/itex] be a closed, bounded interval of real numbers and consider [itex]L^{\infty}[a,b][/itex]. Let [itex]X[/itex] be the subspace of [itex]L^{\infty}[a,b][/itex] comprising those equivalence classes that contain a continuous function. Show that such an equivalence class contains exactly one continuous function; and thus, [itex]X[/itex] is linearly isomorphic to [itex]C[a,b][/itex]. Show that [itex]C[a,b][/itex] is a closed subspace of the Banach space [itex]L^{\infty}[a,b][/itex].

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I have already showed that each equivalence class contains exactly one continuous function. To prove that [itex]C[a,b][/itex] is a closed subspace, it is enough to notice that on [itex]C[a,b][/itex] we have [itex]||\cdot||_{\infty} = ||\cdot||_{\mathrm{max}}[/itex], and that the uniform limit of a uniformly convergent sequence of continuous functions is continuous. So there does not seem to be much to this problem.

My text introduces this problem in the context of the Hahn-Banach Theorem along with other results about linear functionals. In particular, I know that [itex]C[a,b][/itex] is closed if and only if for each [itex]f \in L^{\infty}[a,b] \setminus C[a,b][/itex] there exists a continuous linear functional [itex]\psi[/itex] which vanishes on [itex]C[a,b][/itex] but does not vanish at [itex]f[/itex]. Any help with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Prove [itex]C[a,b][/itex] a closed linear subspace of [itex]L^{\infty}[a,b][/itex

The question seems a bit strange, as it takes pains to distinguish between X, which is a subspace, and C[a,b], which is only isomorphic to X.

The elements of C[a,b] are functions, not equivalence classes of functions, so C[a,b] is not a subspace (closed or otherwise) of L^infinity.

I wonder if the author didn't intend to ask you to show that X is a closed subspace of L^infinity. Not that this is necessarily any harder to prove, unless I'm missing a subtlety.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook