How does ∇ × J = 0 relate to B = 0 in Maxwell's equations?

In summary, the problem statement about a current density J(r, t) satisfying ∇ × J = 0 leading to B = 0 is likely incorrect. This can be seen by considering a point outside a long, straight wire carrying a steady, direct current, where ∇ × J = 0 but B is still a stable, non-zero field. Additionally, calculations inside the wire also contradict the statement. A possible correction to the statement could involve the presence of a steady current and ∂E/∂t = 0, which can lead to ∇^2B = 0.
It's me

Homework Statement

Prove that a current density J(r, t) such that ∇ × J = 0 implies the magnetic field B = 0.

Homework Equations

Maxwell's equations, vector calculus

The Attempt at a Solution

I've played around with Maxwell's equations and with the properties of vector calculus but I can't reach the necessary conclusion. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem may have been mis-stated because, as stated, it looks false.
Consider a point outside a long, straight wire carrying a steady, direct current. ∇ × J=0 at that point because J=0 in an open neighbourhood of that point. But B is not zero. It is a stable, nonzero field that runs around the wire.
The proposition fails inside the wire too: see these calcs.

Thank you very much, I had the feeling something was wrong when the math just didn't agree with the statement.
Do you know of any property that is similar to the one I was trying to prove? I mean, if the problem is mis-stated, any ideas as to what the correct statement is?

Given those conditions, if we also have ##\frac{\partial\mathbf{E}}{dt}=0##, which will for instance be correct if the current is steady, then we can deduce that ##\nabla^2\mathbf{B}=0##. Perhaps they meant that.

Ok thanks, I really appreciate your help.

1. What does ∇ × J = 0 mean?

∇ × J = 0 is a mathematical expression known as the Maxwell's equation of continuity. It represents the fact that the divergence of the current density, J, is equal to zero, indicating that the electric current is conserved in a closed system.

2. How is ∇ × J = 0 related to B=0?

∇ × J = 0 is closely related to B=0 through the Maxwell's equations, which are a set of fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. One of the Maxwell's equations states that the curl of the magnetic field, B, is equal to the current density, J, multiplied by a constant. When ∇ × J = 0, it means that the curl of B is equal to zero, indicating that there is no magnetic field present.

3. Why is it important that ∇ × J = 0 implies B=0?

This relationship is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in a closed system. It tells us that if there is no change in the electric current, then there is no magnetic field present. This is a fundamental principle in electromagnetic theory and has many applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

4. Can ∇ × J = 0 and B=0 be true simultaneously?

Yes, ∇ × J = 0 and B=0 can be true simultaneously. This means that in a closed system, the electric current is conserved and there is no magnetic field present. However, it is important to note that the converse is not always true. Just because ∇ × J = 0 and B=0 are true, it does not necessarily mean that there is no electric current present.

5. How does ∇ × J = 0 relate to the conservation of charge?

∇ × J = 0 is related to the conservation of charge through the continuity equation, which states that the rate of change of charge density in a given volume is equal to the negative of the divergence of the current density. In simpler terms, this means that the amount of charge entering a closed system must be equal to the amount of charge exiting the system. Therefore, when ∇ × J = 0, it indicates that the charge is conserved in the system.