1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove Limit of x^3sin(1/x)

1. Feb 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove:

Limit of x3sin(1/x)=0 as x→0

3. The attempt at a solution

Intuitively, I understand that since sin(1/x) always lies between 1 and -1, and since x approaches zero, x3sin(1/x) must also approach zero. When formally expressing proof, however, which do we restrict, x3 or sin(1/x)?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There are two things I don't understand.
    1. How formally do you need to prove this? I.e., do you need to do a δ-ε argument, or can you use a theorem?
    2. What do you mean "which do we restrict"? The variable x is approaching zero, so both x3 and sin(1/x) are affected.

4. Feb 5, 2014 #3
    Preferably delta-epsilon. I know how to prove it with squeeze theorem, but I got stuck at δ-ε proof.
    I think I have an idea of how to prove it with δ-ε, but I'm not sure.
    EDIT: Oh, and by restrictions, I mean what is taken as δ so we can focus on one function of x, since it's not multiplied by a constant, rather, another function of x.

so if ε>0

-1≤sin(1/x)≤1
    x3 |sin(1/x)|≤x3
    |x3sin(1/x)|≤x3

since |x3sin(1/x)| = |[x3sin(1/x)]-0| <ε and |x3| <ε
    x3
    x<cubic√ε
    |x|<cubic√ε
    |x-0|<cubic√ε

let δ=cubic√ε
    0<|x-0|<cubic√ε
    0<|x-0|<δ
    |[x3sin(1/x)]-0| = |f(x)-0| <ε

5. Feb 5, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You definitely have the correct idea and a good argument. But you could write it up a bit nicer. Since you have already solved it, I will suggest how you should write up your argument:

Suppose ##\epsilon > 0##. Pick ##\delta = \sqrt[3]\epsilon##. Then if ##0<|x-0|<\delta##$$
    \left| x^3\sin(\frac 1 x)\right| =\left| x^3\right|\left| \sin(\frac 1 x)\right| \le |x^3|\cdot 1
    < (\sqrt[3]\epsilon)^3=\epsilon $$Note that you can't allow ##x=0## in the argument.

6. Feb 5, 2014 #5
    Awesome, yeah that's a lot cleaner and less redundant than mine. Thanks so much! Really appreciate it. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted