Prove limit theorem f(x)g(x)=lm

In summary: Therefore, Spivak chooses the tighter bound to make the proof more general and applicable to larger values of m. In summary, Spivak is using a tighter bound for \left|f(x)-l\right| in the proof of lim x->a of f(x)g(x)=lm because it allows for a more general and applicable proof when m is large.
jessjolt2
Hey i am trying to understand Spivak's proof of lim x->a of f(x)g(x)=lm (where l is limit of f(x) and m is lim of g(x) )..but i think he is skipping many steps and at one point i don't understand why he is doing something..

ok so the following i understand:

[itex]\left|f(x)g(x)-lm\right|[/itex]< E
[itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\left|f(x)\right|[/itex][itex]\left|g(x)-m\right|[/itex] + [itex]\left|m\right|[/itex][itex]\left|f(x)-l\right|[/itex]<E

[itex]\left|f(x)-l\right|[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex]1
[itex]\left|f(x)\right|[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\left|l\right|[/itex]+1

[itex]\left|f(x)\right|[/itex][itex]\left|g(x)-m\right|[/itex]<([itex]\left|l\right|[/itex]+1)[itex]\left|g(x)-m\right|[/itex]<E/2
[itex]\left|g(x)-m\right|[/itex]< [itex]\frac{E}{2(\left|l\right|+1)}[/itex]

[itex]\left|f(x)\right|[/itex][itex]\left|g(x)-m\right|[/itex]<([itex]\left|l\right|[/itex]+1)[itex]\frac{E}{2(\left|l\right|+1)}[/itex]

[itex]\left|f(x)\right|[/itex][itex]\left|g(x)-m\right|[/itex]<E/2ok so now i am guessing that we want to say that [itex]\left|m\right|[/itex][itex]\left|f(x)-l\right|[/itex]<E/2 so that E/2 + E/2 = E
so can u just say:
[itex]\left|m\right|[/itex][itex]\left|f(x)-l\right|[/itex]<E/2
[itex]\left|f(x)-l\right|[/itex]<E/(2[itex]\left|m\right|[/itex])

cus i mean m is just a constant..it can't be restricted like f(x) was...

so:
[itex]\left|m\right|[/itex][itex]\left|f(x)-l\right|[/itex]<[itex]\left|m\right|[/itex](E/(2[itex]\left|m\right|[/itex]))= E/2

so then:
[itex]\left|f(x)\right|[/itex][itex]\left|g(x)-m\right|[/itex] + [itex]\left|m\right|[/itex][itex]\left|f(x)-l\right|[/itex]< E/2 + E/2 =E

when [itex]\left|f(x)-l\right|[/itex] < min (1, E/(2|m|) ) and [itex]\left|g(x)-m\right|[/itex]<[itex]\frac{E}{2(\left|l\right|+1)}[/itex]
but Spivak is saying that [itex]\left|f(x)-l\right|[/itex] < min (1, E/( 2(|m|+1) ) ) and i have no clue why... help plsss?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is correct. The reason why Spivak is using the expression E/(2(|m|+1)) is because m is a constant and thus it always remains the same. So, if m is very large, it might make the expression E/(2(|m|+1)) smaller than E/(2|m|). This would give us a tighter bound on the value of \left|f(x)-l\right|, which would mean that the proof works better when we have larger values of m.

1. What is the limit theorem for the product of two functions?

The limit theorem for the product of two functions states that if the limits of two functions, f(x) and g(x), exist as x approaches a certain value, then the limit of their product, f(x)g(x), also exists and is equal to the product of their individual limits. In other words, lim f(x)g(x) = lim f(x) * lim g(x).

2. How is the limit theorem for the product of two functions proven?

The limit theorem for the product of two functions can be proven using the algebraic limit laws and the definition of a limit. By using these laws and definitions, one can manipulate the limit expression for f(x)g(x) to show that it is equal to the product of the individual limits.

3. Can the limit theorem for the product of two functions be applied to any two functions?

Yes, the limit theorem for the product of two functions can be applied to any two continuous functions, as long as their limits exist as x approaches the same value. This is because the theorem relies on the continuity of the two functions in order to apply the algebraic limit laws.

4. What is the significance of the limit theorem for the product of two functions?

The limit theorem for the product of two functions is significant because it allows us to simplify the evaluation of limits of product functions. Instead of having to evaluate the limit of the product function directly, we can evaluate the limits of the individual functions and then multiply them together to find the limit of the product.

5. Are there any limitations to the limit theorem for the product of two functions?

One limitation of the limit theorem for the product of two functions is that it only applies when taking the limit as x approaches a specific value. It cannot be used for limits at infinity or for limits as x approaches different values from the left and right sides. Additionally, the two functions must be continuous at the point of evaluation in order for the theorem to be applicable.