1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove m + m/1

1. May 20, 2007 #1

disregardthat

Science Advisor

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that if m is a positive rational number, then:

m + 1/m = integer

Only when m = 1

2. Relevant equations

Don't know any

3. The attempt at a solution

That's the problem, I don't know where to start. I have tryed a few things, but none of them works out for me.

I don't know much of proofs and such, the problem I have is always where shall I start? Do you have any tips?

EDIT: The topics name is not correct, the correct question is in the topic

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

If m is a positive rational number, then m = p/q, for some natural numbers p and q. Hence, you have p/q + q/p = integer => p/q & q/p are integers. Now, what does that mean?

4. May 20, 2007 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just because the sum of two numbers is an integer does not mean the two numbers themselves are integers. This final step needs further justification.

5. May 20, 2007 #4

disregardthat

Science Advisor

I was at that stage:

a/b + b/a = integer

But I couldn't state that this only works when m=1

Is it ok to say: a and b is integers, if a is more that 1, we would have a decimal number in b/a and an integer in a/b, if b is more than one, we would have a decimal number in a/b and an integer in b/a.

Since m must be positive, and that we can't divide by 0, m must be 1 to get an integer.

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  6. May 20, 2007 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How would you express a/b+b/a as a fraction? What are the conditions that this fraction be an integer?

Edited to add:

Now put this back in the context of the original problem, which is to prove m+1/m is an integer only if m is 1.

7. May 20, 2007 #6

radou

Homework Helper

a/b + b/a is not an integer if a doesn't divide b or if b doesn't divide a (or both). So, for a/b + b/a to be an integer, a must divide b, and b must divide a.

8. May 20, 2007 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

radou, you just gave out the answer. Not a good idea in the homework section ...

9. May 20, 2007 #8

radou

Homework Helper

Hm, I'd let Jarle decide about that.

10. May 20, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is all true, except that the sum of two nonintegers can be a integer. So it's not so clear and I don't think the answer is given away yet. You'll want to clear the fractions in a/b+b/a=1 and assume a and b are relatively prime.

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  11. May 21, 2007 #10

disregardthat

Science Advisor

I don't know how to prove it, I tryed, but I can't

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  12. May 21, 2007 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure what you mean by 'shortened'. I would write it as a^2+b^2=a*b. Is this relation possible if a and b have no common divisors?

13. May 21, 2007 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm a bit unclear as to whether the problem is to show that m+ 1/m is an integer or (m+1)/m is an integer only if m= 1.

If it is the first case, I don't think you need to worry about "divisors". Since the difference of two integers is an integer, if m+ 1/m= n, an integer, then 1/m= n- m is an integer. What does that tell you?

14. May 21, 2007 #13

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Halls, it looks like you assumed that m is an integer. It is a rational.

15. May 21, 2007 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can assume a and b have no common divisors, right? Otherwise you could just simplify the fraction. This mean one of a or b has a prime divisor that does not divide the other. Suppose p divides a but not b. How many of the terms in a^2+b^2=a*b are divisible by p? How many are not? Is there anything wrong here?

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  16. May 21, 2007 #15

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Dick, you arrived at [itex]a/b+b/a=1[/itex] in post #9 and then used that in posts #11 and #14. However, you do not know [itex]a/b+b/a=1[/itex]. The given condition is that [itex]a/b+b/a=n[/itex], where [itex]a, b, n \in \mathbb N[/itex]. So the problem becomes one of showing that [itex]a^2+b^2=nab[/itex] only has solution if [itex]a=b=1[/itex].

17. May 21, 2007 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ooooops. Sorry! Same argument, though.

18. May 21, 2007 #17
    That should read "only has solution if [itex]a=b[/itex]"

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  19. May 21, 2007 #18

radou

Homework Helper

Nah, it should read "only has solution in the set of integers".

Boy, what a thread. :tongue2:

20. May 21, 2007 #19
    a and b may both be integers and yet not be a solution. a = b is crucial. a and b were chosen from the set of integers.

21. May 21, 2007 #20

radou

Homework Helper

I was referring to n, but nevermind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?