Prove Monotonicity: (1 + 1/n)^(n+1) Decreasing

• Thread starter hedipaldi
  • Start date
In summary, the student tried to use the binom expansion and the identity(Ck-1,n)+(Ck,n)=(Ck,n+1) but all they got was a failure. They then tried to use the Bernouli inequality and more but nothing worked. They then tried to solve it themselves but failed.
hedipaldi

Homework Statement

prove that the sequence (1+1/n)^(n+1) is monotonic decreasing

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the binom expansion and the identity( Ck-1,n)+(Ck,n)=(Ck,n+1)

Physics news on Phys.org
All you have to do is show that a[itex]_{n}[/itex] ≥ a[itex]_{n+1}[/itex]

obviously,how do i do that?

When in doubt, use induction.

If someone has an idea i will be glad to be helped.

I'm serious. Use induction. Prove first that (1+1/1)^(1+1) is greater than or equal to (1+1/2)^(2+1) as your base case.

I'm thinking about this problem and I think there actually is a better way of doing it but induction would be my first approach.

Last edited:
hedipaldi said:
If someone has an idea i will be glad to be helped.

If you want another approach look at the function f(x)=(1+1/x)^(x+1). Form the log and then take the derivative and try to show it's negative for x>=1.

I search for a solution concerning sequences only without using functions.

Most results using sequences can be proven most quickly using functions. Is there a special reason that you don't want to use functions??

Anyway, you need to prove

[tex]\left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)^{n+1}\geq \left(1+\frac{1}{n+1}\right)^{n+2}[/tex]

Can you algebraically manipulate the above to something suitable?

I tried the binom expansion but it was not efficient.

Try something else then. Try to make [itex]1+\frac{1}{n}[/itex] and the other one into one fraction. Then rearrange stuff.

Up to now nothing works here.

hedipaldi said:
Up to now nothing works here.

There are already 12 posts in this thread. I have seen many good suggestions here. But I have yet to see an attempt of you. If you say that "nothing works", then what did you try?? Can you show us exactly what you tried?? Why doesn't it work.

If you expect to be spoonfed, then this thread will be locked.

Try to solve and see the problem for yourself.This is not so easy as the increasing sequence in answer #9.

hedipaldi said:
Try to solve and see the problem for yourself.This is not so easy as the increasing sequence in answer #9.

I did solve it myself.
So please make an attempt or this will be locked. If you say that nothing works, then surely there must be something that you tried?

I need a solution without using functions and derivatives.I tried the binom expansion,the Bernouli inequality and more.the binom expansion may by efficient but i suspect that there must be a simpler way.

hedipaldi said:
I need a solution without using functions and derivatives.I tried the binom expansion,the Bernouli inequality and more.the binom expansion may by efficient but i suspect that there must be a simpler way.

Why did you ignore my post 11?
There is a very simple way. You need to prove the inequality in post 9. First put
[tex]1+\frac{1}{n}~~\text{and}~~1+\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]
into one fraction. Then rearrange the inequality in post 9. Play around with it. What do you get?

solved.

What does it mean to prove monotonicity?

Proving monotonicity means showing that a mathematical function is either always increasing or always decreasing.

Why is proving monotonicity important?

Proving monotonicity is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values. It also allows us to determine the maximum and minimum values of a function.

How do you prove that (1 + 1/n)^(n+1) is decreasing?

To prove that (1 + 1/n)^(n+1) is decreasing, we can take the derivative of the function and show that it is always negative. This shows that the function is always decreasing and therefore, monotonic.

Can you give an example of a monotonic function?

One example of a monotonic function is f(x) = x + 2. This function is always increasing, as the value of x increases, so does the value of f(x).

How does proving monotonicity relate to real-world applications?

Proving monotonicity can be used in real-world applications such as economics, where it can help analyze the demand and supply curves. It can also be used in engineering to understand the behavior of systems and make predictions about their performance.