1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove: n(FuG) = (uF)n(uG)

1. Aug 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (Title is wrong)

I was able to prove the similar [itex] \bigcup(F \cup G)=(\cup F)\bigcup(\cup G) [/itex] but I'm not to sure how to go about this one.

Let F and G be nonempty families of sets. Prove
    [itex] \bigcap(F \cup G)=(\cap F)\bigcap(\cap G) [/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution
    To prove [itex]\bigcap(F \cup G) \subset (\cap F)\bigcap(\cap G)[/itex],
    let [itex] x \subset \bigcap(F \cup G) [/itex] be arbitrary. Clearly, [itex] x \in S[/itex] for some set [itex] S \subset \bigcap F \cup G [/itex] containing all common elements in [itex] F \cup G [/itex]. We have [itex] S \in F \cup G.[/itex]

Do I go by..

We have two cases: (only one needs to be proven really.)
    Case 1: [itex] If S \in F [/itex], clearly [itex] S \subset \cup F [/itex]...
    (I'm stuck here)

or Do I go by...

Suppose [itex] S \in F [/itex] and [itex] S \in G [/itex]. Clearly [itex] S \subset \cup F [/itex] and [itex] S \subset \cup G [/itex]. (I'm stuck here)

I'll try proving the converse and restart the proof since I misread the problem.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2012 #2
    By definition of the operation [itex]\bigcap[/itex], any x in [itex]\bigcap(F\cup G)[/itex] must be contained in EVERY SET of [itex]F\cup G[/itex]. Continue from here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook