Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove of new metric space

1. Mar 18, 2012 #1
    Suppose that (X,d) is a metric

Show [itex]\tilde{d}[/itex](x,y) = [itex]\frac{d(x,y)}{\sqrt{1+d(x,y)}}[/itex] is also a metric

I've proven the positivity and symmetry of it.

Left to prove something like this

Given a[itex]\leq[/itex]b+c
    Show [itex]\frac{a}{\sqrt{1+a}}[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{b}{\sqrt{1+b}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+c}}[/itex]

I try to prove this
    a[itex]\sqrt{1+b}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+c}[/itex]=b[itex]\sqrt{1+a}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+c}[/itex]+c[itex]\sqrt{1+a}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+b}[/itex]
    but i'm just stuck!

cz previously i've proven this [itex]\frac{a}{1+a}[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{b}{1+b}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{c}{1+c}[/itex] before....

I guess I can't use the same method??

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2012 #2
    Can you prove this assuming a is bigger than both b and c? Can you prove it assuming a is not the biggest?

4. Mar 18, 2012 #3
    What do you mean? I know a≤b+c...

So I assume a is bigger than both a and c?

5. Mar 19, 2012 #4
    I mean that if you can prove an assertion under some condition, and then under the complementary condition, then you are done. And I have also told you what condition works well in your case.

6. Mar 19, 2012 #5
    This is natural to assume given the triangle inequality for the original metric.

7. Mar 19, 2012 #6
    Let:
    a=d(x,y)
    b=d(x,z)
    c=d(z,y)

a[itex]\leq[/itex]b+c
    This is the triangle inequality for the original metric right?

Show [itex]\frac{a}{\sqrt{1+a}}[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{b}{\sqrt{1+b}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+c}}[/itex] -- (*)

Does this means that I try to prove (*) by two cases:
    1. assuming a>b and a>c
    2. assuming a<b and a<c???

8. Mar 19, 2012 #7
    I'm not sure whether this way of proving it is okay:

I take a look at the function

f(x)=[itex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x}}[/itex]

f'(x)=[itex]\frac{2+x}{2(1+x)^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/itex]
    f'(x)>0 if and only if x≥-1.

Since I know that 0≤a≤b+c, f(x) is an increasing function in the interval [0,b+c]. Therefore, by choosing a=b+c, f(a)=[itex]\frac{a}{\sqrt{1+a}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{b+c}{\sqrt{1+b+c}}[/itex] is the maximum possible value.

Hence it is enough to show that [itex]\frac{b+c}{\sqrt{1+b+c}}[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{b}{\sqrt{1+b}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+c}}[/itex]

Since 1+b+c≥1+b and 1+b+c≥1+c,
    [itex]\frac{b+c}{\sqrt{1+b+c}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{b}{\sqrt{1+b+c}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+b+c}}[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{b}{\sqrt{1+b}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+c}}[/itex]

Therefore,
    [itex]\frac{a}{\sqrt{1+a}}[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{b}{\sqrt{1+b}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+c}}[/itex]

It seems a bit dodgy :bugeye:

9. Mar 19, 2012 #8
    Your solution is good. You use both the idea about f'>0 and the analysis of the denomintarors in one argument.

10. Mar 19, 2012 #9
    So is this method valid?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook