Is the Equation for Refractive Index Accurate?

In summary: Primary's doubts have long been resolved.According to the definition these triangles are similar because when you shrink one side the become congruent.
primarygun
Can anyone show me a proof of "refractive index= (real depth)\(apparent depth) "?
I found the proof in my book has a mistakes and I found some contradicts to this equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you say there are mistakes and contradictions?

The book said used a pair of similar triangles to infer it but the triangles are not similar.
Do you want a picture? If you want, I can upload it now.

http://paintedover.com/uploads/show.php?loc=23&f=physics.jpg
Hope it helps you bring me out of the troubles.

Ugh, basic geometry :(

I think they are considered similar triangles.

is it correct?

yah I am pretty sure it is... hopefuly someone will verify though... its 3am here :D

But, I think the equation should be correct as I saw it in many books.
We need the someone's help;

primarygun said:
Can anyone show me a proof of "refractive index= (real depth)\(apparent depth) "?
I found the proof in my book has a mistakes and I found some contradicts to this equation.

What DEFINITION of 'refractive index' does your book give? (It is possible to use "refractive index= (real depth)/(apparent depth)" as the definition.)

index of refraction.

Pengwuino said:
yah I am pretty sure it is... hopefuly someone will verify though... its 3am here :D

if the two triangles were similar, wouldn't r = i, or 90 degrees - r = i?

not sure if giving the ratio of the sines will show this. :grumpy:

i derived this equation before. the formula is just an approximation for small angle case, where [itex]sin\theta=tan\theta[/itex] for small angle. i.e. it is for the case where you almost look vertically down to the object from above. you can derive it easily by drawing slender triangles. very easy.

if you get stuck i can post a proper solution with the drawing.

The triangles are NOT similar. That derivation is just extremely poorly worded (or was written by someone who knew the result and "made up" the proof). What it is actually using is the small angle approximation that sniffer mentions.

Anyway, I believe Primary's doubts have long been resolved.

According to the definition these triangles áre similar because when you shrink one side the become congruent which is apparently enough to qualify them as "similar" (I have looked this up.).

Frankly I thought the explanation was pretty straightforward...

Last edited:

What is refractive index?

Refractive index is a measure of how much a substance can bend or refract light. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the substance.

How is refractive index measured?

Refractive index can be measured using various techniques such as refractometry, interferometry, and spectrophotometry. These methods involve measuring the angle of refraction or the change in light intensity as it passes through the substance.

What factors affect the refractive index of a substance?

The refractive index of a substance is affected by its chemical composition, density, and temperature. It also varies with the wavelength of light passing through it.

Why is refractive index important in science?

Refractive index is an important physical property that is used in a variety of scientific fields, including optics, chemistry, and materials science. It is used to identify and characterize different substances, as well as to design and optimize optical devices such as lenses and prisms.

Can refractive index be used to identify unknown substances?

Yes, refractive index is often used as a quick and non-destructive method for identifying unknown substances. By comparing the refractive index of an unknown substance to a database of known values, scientists can determine its chemical composition and potentially identify it.