Prove/Disprove: $I+J$ and $I\cap J$ are Ideals of $A$

• MHB
  • Thread starter Krizalid1
  • Start date
In summary, the ideals $I+J$ and $I\cap J$ are both additive subgroups of the ring $A$ and will also satisfy the definition of an ideal. This can be shown by working through the definitions and using the fact that ideals are additive subgroups. The same approach can be applied to any family of ideals indexed by a finite set. The infinite case may have some complications that are better discussed in another context.
Krizalid1
Let $I$ and $J$ be ideals of a ring $A.$ Are $I+J$ and $I\cap J$ ideals of $A$?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
More general. Let $\{I_j:j\in J\}$ be a family of ideals of a ring $A$. Are $\displaystyle\sum_{j\in J}I_j$ and $\displaystyle\bigcap_{j\in J}I_j$ ideals of $A$?

This is merely matter of working through the definitions.

For example, let \(\displaystyle r,r' \in I+J\). This means that:

\(\displaystyle r = x + y, r' = x' + y', x,x' \in I, y,y' \in J\).

So \(\displaystyle r - r' = (x + y) - (x' + y') = (x - x') + (y - y') \in I+J\),

since \(\displaystyle I,J\) are both ideals of \(\displaystyle A\) (and thus additive subgroups).

This shows \(\displaystyle I+J\) is an additive subgroup of \(\displaystyle (A,+)\).

Now let \(\displaystyle a \in A\) be any element. We have:

\(\displaystyle ar = a(x + y) = ax + ay \in I + J\), because \(\displaystyle I,J\) are both IDEALS.

The proof that \(\displaystyle ra \in I + J\) is similar, and left to the reader.

This proof clearly generalizes to any family of ideals indexed by a FINITE set. The infinite case has some complications better off discussed elsewhere.

A similar approach works for \(\displaystyle I \cap J\). It should be clear that \(\displaystyle I \cap J\) is an additive subgroup of \(\displaystyle A\). I hope you can see how to prove that for any:

\(\displaystyle a \in A, r \in I \cap J\) that \(\displaystyle ar,ra \in I \cap J\).

1. What is an ideal in abstract algebra?

An ideal in abstract algebra is a subset of a ring that satisfies certain properties. Specifically, it is a subset that is closed under addition and multiplication by any element of the ring. Additionally, it contains the additive identity element and absorbs multiplication from both sides.

2. How can we prove that $I+J$ is an ideal of $A$?

To prove that $I+J$ is an ideal of $A$, we need to show that it satisfies the definition of an ideal. This means we need to show that it is closed under addition and multiplication by any element of $A$, contains the additive identity element, and absorbs multiplication from both sides. We can do this by using algebraic manipulations and properties of ideals.

3. Can you give an example of $I+J$ and $I\cap J$ that are not ideals of $A$?

Yes, we can. Let $A$ be the ring of integers and let $I=\{2,4,6,...\}$ and $J=\{3,6,9,...\}$. Then $I+J=\{5,10,15,...\}$, which is not closed under multiplication by an integer. Similarly, $I\cap J=\{6,12,18,...\}$, which is not closed under addition. Therefore, neither $I+J$ nor $I\cap J$ is an ideal of $A$.

4. How can we disprove that $I\cap J$ is an ideal of $A$?

To disprove that $I\cap J$ is an ideal of $A$, we need to find a counterexample that shows it does not satisfy the definition of an ideal. This means we need to find elements in $I\cap J$ that do not have the required properties, such as not being closed under addition or not containing the additive identity element.

5. Is it possible for $I+J$ and $I\cap J$ to be ideals of $A$ simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible for $I+J$ and $I\cap J$ to be ideals of $A$ at the same time. This can happen when $I$ and $J$ are both subrings of $A$, and thus satisfy the properties of ideals. In this case, $I+J$ will also be a subring of $A$ and therefore an ideal, and $I\cap J$ will contain the additive identity element and be closed under multiplication by elements in $A$, making it an ideal as well.