1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove or give a counter example is sum ai and sum bi are convergent series with non-n

1. Mar 9, 2012 #1
    Hi

Can someone please help me to
    prove or give a counter example is sum ai and sum bi are convergent series with non-negative terms then sum aibi converges

I believe that if it doesn't say "non-negative terms" then this wouldn't be true. Am I correct?

Since each of two non-negative series converges then the series sum ai bi converges also. However I am not sure how to prove this.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Insights Author
    Gold Member

Re: prove or give a counter example is sum ai and sum bi are convergent series with n

Correct. Can you find a counterexample? (Hint: you can find one with [itex]a_i = b_i[/itex].)

Do you know any inequalities that involve [itex]\sum a_i b_i[/itex]?

4. Mar 9, 2012 #3
    Re: prove or give a counter example is sum ai and sum bi are convergent series with n

ai= (cos n pie)/squareroot (n)= bi this would work right?

I'm sorry I am not sure what you mean....i feel like this problem its very simple but for some reason I have such a hard time with it

5. Mar 9, 2012 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Insights Author
    Gold Member

Yes, that's the example I had in mind. Of course [itex]\cos(n\pi) = (-1)^n[/itex].

Do you know the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality?

6. Mar 9, 2012 #5

the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality:

sum ai bi is less then or equal to sum (ai^2)^1/2 sum (bi^2)^1/2

7. Mar 9, 2012 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Insights Author
    Gold Member

OK, good. Now, given that all the [itex]a_i[/itex] are nonnegative, what can you say about

[tex]\sum a_i^2[/tex]

if you know that

[tex]\sum a_i[/tex]

is finite?

8. Mar 9, 2012 #7

if ai converges (finite) then (ai)2 converges also.

9. Mar 9, 2012 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Insights Author
    Gold Member

Correct, but do you know how to prove it?

And can you see how to use this fact along with the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to solve the problem?

10. Mar 9, 2012 #9

Since I am not sure how to use the Cauchy ineq. , how about something like this :

Let
    Ai=Sum[i=0 to inf] ai
    Bi=Sum[i= 0 to inf] bi
    Ci=Sum[i=0 to inf] ai* bi
    Ai, Bi, Ci are obviously strictly increasing (1) , because
    Ai=A_(i-1)+a_n, similary Bi and Ci.
    Let lim(n->inf)Ai=X, lim(n->inf)Bi=Y (because they converge).
    Because they are strictly increasing,
    =>Ai=X and Bi=Y for every i.
    Ci=Ai*Bi, because
    a1*b1+a2*b2+...an*bn<(a1+a2+..+an)*
    *(b1+b2+..+bn)
    From this, Ci=Ai*Bi=X*Y (2)
    From (1) and (2) (monotonous and limited) Ci is convergent

11. Mar 9, 2012 #10

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Insights Author
    Gold Member

These definitions don't make any sense. On the right hand side, you have summed over i = 0 to infinity. The result therefore does not depend on i.

Since your definition of Ai, Bi, Ci above doesn't actually depend on i, this statement also makes no sense. A constant can't be strictly increasing.

Let's look at the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality again, which looks like the following assuming that [itex]a_i[/itex] and [itex]b_i[/itex] are non-negative:

[tex]\sum a_i b_i \leq \sqrt{\sum a_i^2} \sqrt{\sum b_i^2}[/tex]

Therefore, if [itex]\sum a_i^2[/itex] and [itex]\sum b_i^2[/itex] are finite, then so is [itex]\sum a_i b_i[/itex].

We know that [itex]\sum a_i[/itex] and [itex]\sum b_i[/itex] are finite. If you can show that this implies that [itex]\sum a_i^2[/itex] and [itex]\sum b_i^2[/itex] are finite, then you're done. So focus on this step.

Here's a hint: if [itex]x[/itex] is a nonnegative real number, what has to be true of [itex]x[/itex] in order to have [itex]x^2 \leq x[/itex]?

12. Mar 9, 2012 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually you don't really need Cauchy-Schwarz do you? If the series ai converges then ai approaches 0. So ai<1 for i large enough, doesn't it? Use a comparison test.

13. Mar 10, 2012 #12

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Insights Author
    Gold Member

Yes, that's much better. When I see an inner product I always think "Cauchy-Schwarz" but in this case it meant that I didn't notice the more direct proof.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?