Proving the Order of a Tensor: Transformation Laws and Quotient Theorem

• Thread starter rarkup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of a quadric surface and its transformation under a rotation of axes. The coefficients of the surface, aij, are shown to be components of a second order tensor using both transformation laws and the quotient theorem. The conversation also addresses how to relate the components of a and a' under the rotation, with the goal of showing their symmetry.
rarkup

Homework Statement

The equation of a quadric surface takes the form

[tex]a_i_jx_ix_j = 1, a_i_j = a_j_i[/tex]

relative to the standard coordinate axes. Under a rotation of axes the equation of the surface becomes

[tex]a'_i_jx'_ix'_j = 1[/tex]

By considering the coordinates [tex]x_i[/tex] as components of position vectors, show that the coefficients [tex]a_i_j[/tex] are components of a second order tensor

(i) using transformation laws;
(ii) using the quotient theorem

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need a bit of a kick-start on this one.
I'm guessing my objective will be to show that:

[tex]a'_i_j = l_i_ml_j_na_m_n[/tex] where [tex]l_i_j[/tex] is an entry in the matrix representing the rotation.

but it's not clear to me how to relate a, l and x.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the equation a'ijx'ix'j = 1, write x' in terms of x. In the resulting equation, can you identify an expressionis that must be equal to aij? This will tell you how aij are related to a'ij, i.e. how the components of a transform.

dx said:
In the equation a'ijx'ix'j = 1, write x' in terms of x. In the resulting equation, can you identify an expressionis that must be equal to aij? This will tell you how aij are related to a'ij, i.e. how the components of a transform.

Thanks for your response. Rewriting x' in terms of x I get:

[tex]a_i_j'x_i'x_j' = 1 => a_i_j'l_i_mx_ml_j_nx_n = 1 = a_m_nx_mx_n[/tex]
[tex]=> a_i_j'l_i_ml_j_n = a_m_n[/tex]

This is close, but it's not clear to me how to shuffle the elements of the rotation matrix L from the LHS to the RHS. I also suspect the symmetry of a was mentioned for a reason, and that it's likely that it suggests a property that I should be taking advantage of.

Would really appreciate some help on this. I'm studying remotely and have no other students to refer to, and the course tutor seems to be on extended leave. I have about 24 hours before the last mail pick-up to make the assignment due date. Any help fully appreciated.

1. What is the order of a tensor?

The order of a tensor refers to the number of indices needed to describe the tensor. It is also known as the number of dimensions or rank of the tensor.

2. How is the order of a tensor determined?

The order of a tensor is determined by the number of subscripts or indices in its notation. For example, a tensor with two indices is a second-order tensor, while a tensor with three indices is a third-order tensor.

3. What is the difference between order and dimension of a tensor?

The order of a tensor refers to the number of indices needed to describe the tensor, while the dimension of a tensor refers to the number of components or values in each index. For example, a third-order tensor with dimensions 3x3x3 would have a total of 27 components.

4. Why is it important to know the order of a tensor?

The order of a tensor is important because it determines the type of operations that can be performed on the tensor. For example, a second-order tensor can be multiplied by a vector, while a third-order tensor can be multiplied by another third-order tensor.

5. How can the order of a tensor be proven?

The order of a tensor can be proven mathematically by counting the number of indices in its notation. It can also be proven experimentally by performing operations on the tensor and observing the resulting dimensions of the output.