1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove Pascals formula

1. May 30, 2007 #1
    Prove "Pascals formula"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that (k)+(k+1)+......+(n) = (n+1) it's supposed to be combinations
    (k) (k ) (k) (k+1)

That's the question in my math book. I guess you need to use Pascals triangle and Pascals formula but unfortionately I dont know how to implement them here.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2007 #2
    please define what are these notations
    what is the meaning of (k) ???

4. May 30, 2007 #3

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

lalbatros, he means show that:

[tex]{{k}\choose{k}} + {{k+1}\choose{k}} + \dots + {{n}\choose{k}} = {{n+1}\choose{k+1}}[/tex]

The second line of (k)'s and the (k+1) is supposed to line up underneath the stuff on the previous line. I'm about to hit the space bar 10 times. I just hit it 10 times, I see a big gap between "times." and "I just" but when I post this message, you'll only see one space.

Elruso, use Pascal's triangle on the right side of your equation together with induction.

5. May 30, 2007 #4
    Well, n=1,2,3,4.......... and k=1,2,3,4...............

6. May 30, 2007 #5

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know what your point is. Do induction on n. The base case is the trivial fact that [itex]{{k}\choose{k}} = {{k+1}\choose{k+1}}[/itex].

7. May 30, 2007 #6

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Are you sure the problem is copied correctly? I think I should have read:
    [tex]\left( \begin{array}{c} k \\ k \end{array} \right) + \left( \begin{array}{c} k + 1 \\ k \end{array} \right) + \left( \begin{array}{c} k + 2 \\ k \end{array} \right) + ... + \left( \begin{array}{c} k + n \\ k \end{array} \right) = \left( \begin{array}{c} k + n + 1 \\ k + 1 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

As AKG's pointed out, you need a Proof By Induction. Proof By Induction requires 3 steps, i.e:
    Step 1: Start with n = 0, or 1, or 2, or whatever according to what the problem asks you to do (in this case, you should choose n = 0), to see if it's correct.
    Step 2: Assume the statement is true for k = n.
    Step 3: prove that if it holds true for k = n, then it would also hold true for k = n + 1.

Can you go from her? :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?