Prove Pauli Matrices: 65-Character Title

In summary, the given equation can be proved by using the series expansion of ##e^{\hat{A}}##, where ##\hat{A} = \alpha \hat{\sigma}_z + \beta \hat{\sigma}_x##, and then simplifying using the anticommuntation properties of the Pauli matrices.
LagrangeEuler

Homework Statement

Prove
[tex]\exp (\alpha \hat{\sigma}_z+\beta \hat{\sigma}_x)=\cosh \sqrt{\alpha^2+\beta^2}+\frac{\sinh \sqrt{\alpha^2+\beta^2}}{\sqrt{\alpha^2+\beta^2}}(\alpha \hat{\sigma}_z+\beta \hat{\sigma}_x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]e^{\hat{A}}=\hat{1}+\hat{A}+\frac{\hat{A}^2}{2!}+...[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\exp (\alpha \hat{\sigma}_z+\beta \hat{\sigma}_x)=\hat{1}+\alpha \hat{\sigma}_z+\beta \hat{\sigma}_x+\frac{1}{2!}(\alpha^2\hat{\sigma}_z^2+\beta^2\hat{\sigma}_x^2+\alpha \beta \hat{\sigma}_x\hat{\sigma}_z+\alpha \beta \hat{\sigma}_z\hat{\sigma}_x)+...[/tex]
from that
[tex]\exp (\alpha \hat{\sigma}_z+\beta \hat{\sigma}_x)=\hat{1}+\alpha \hat{\sigma}_z+\beta \hat{\sigma}_x+\frac{1}{2!}(\alpha^2\hat{1}+\beta^2\hat{1}+\alpha \beta \hat{\sigma}_x\hat{\sigma}_z+\alpha \beta \hat{\sigma}_z\hat{\sigma}_x)+...[/tex]
Is this way to go? I'm not sure?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you seen an expression for ##(\vec{n}\cdot \hat{\vec{\sigma}})^k##, with ##\vec{n}## a unit vector?

[edit: no problem]

Last edited:
Hi LagrangeEuler!

The series above simplifies drastically when you figure out what to do with [itex]\sigma_x \sigma_z + \sigma_z \sigma_x[/itex].

:smile:

[edit: sorry Bloby, posted over you by mistake]

Check out the anticommuntation properties {sig_x,sig_z} = 0, so there is a lot of cancelations.

bloby said:
Have you seen an expression for ##(\vec{n}\cdot \hat{\vec{\sigma}})^k##, with ##\vec{n}## a unit vector?

[edit: no problem]

I don't see connection with this problem?

Oxvillian said:
Hi LagrangeEuler!

The series above simplifies drastically when you figure out what to do with [itex]\sigma_x \sigma_z + \sigma_z \sigma_x[/itex].

:smile:

[edit: sorry Bloby, posted over you by mistake]

Tnx a lot.

LagrangeEuler said:
I don't see connection with this problem?

With ##\sqrt{\alpha^2+\beta^2}=a##, ##exp((\beta , 0 , \alpha)\cdot (\hat{\sigma}_x , \hat{\sigma}_y , \hat{\sigma}_z))=exp(\sqrt{\beta^2+\alpha^2}(\hat{n}\cdot \hat{\vec{\sigma}}))=I+a(\hat{n}\cdot\hat{\vec{\sigma}})+\frac{1}{2!}a^2(\quad)^2+...##

Last edited:

1. What are Pauli matrices?

Pauli matrices are a set of three 2x2 matrices used in quantum mechanics to describe spin states of particles. They are named after physicist Wolfgang Pauli.

2. How many Pauli matrices are there?

There are three Pauli matrices: σx, σy, and σz.

3. What is the purpose of proving Pauli matrices?

Proving Pauli matrices is important in order to understand the mathematical foundation of quantum mechanics and to use these matrices in calculations and experiments.

4. How can Pauli matrices be represented mathematically?

Pauli matrices can be represented as follows:
σx = [ 0 1 ]
σy = [ 0 -i ]
σz = [ 1 0 ]

5. What are the properties of Pauli matrices?

Pauli matrices are Hermitian, unitary, and traceless. They also satisfy the Pauli spin matrices commutation relations: [σi, σj] = 2iεijkσk, where εijk is the Levi-Civita symbol.