Is the Existence of an Omnipotent God Provable?

• Thread starter AiA
  • Start date
In summary, the author argues that there are examples of perfection- such as the perfect triangle- and therefore God must be perfect in every way. However, they also argue that if our minds and souls are eternal, and without a heaven or hell (caused by the perfect God), then where do our minds and souls go?
AiA
Is God perfect?

I say no, I say God is not perfect but instinctive, created the universe as a natural purpose.

Agree, disagree, do what you like, but prove it.

Physics news on Phys.org
"A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions."

This is the dictionary description of god so therefore by definition the answer must be yes, otherwise he would seize to be god

If God was not perfect in every aspect, he would not be God as Sho'Nuff said. Of course, you could say that perhaps our idea of God is wrongly defined, and God is actually "non-perfect" like you say.

I have talked to you before about this: If there is a standard for everything in the world, good and bad, and there is imprefection, there must also exist perfection of some sort.

ok, now let's say I change the word of God to an "essence" or what ever, just not God, then the question remains "is this essence perfect."

Now I've concluded that there are examples of perfection, a lot of them, when looking at the essence of a triangle, a circle, what ever, that essence is perfect, a triangle is perfectly a triangle. 2+2 is perfectly 4, see, examples of perfection. Now I say that the essence is the perfect creater, simply because with the perfect triangle, the essence of triangle is perfect because there is no other essence, there is nothing to compare it to, just like the original "essence", the creator is the perfect creator cause he is the ONLY creator, now that in no way implies that the "essence" is omnipotent.

Now I come across another dilemma which my friends (dekoi) failed to argue, is that if our minds and souls are eternal, and without a heaven or hell (cause there couldn't be heaven or hell without the known perfect God) then where do our minds and souls go, (yes I just cornered myself, and if anyone knows how to pull me out of this corner, please respond.)

AiA said:
if our minds and souls are eternal, and without a heaven or hell (cause there couldn't be heaven or hell without the known perfect God) then where do our minds and souls go,

If these are the two parameters you set for yourself than we'll prolly just float in space, I just don't understand why you choose these parameters and then trouble yourself with such a question. I'd say change your parameters

I think the question is ill-formed. What does it mean to say something is 'perfect' with no further qualifications? It makes sense to say, for example, that a key is perfect for a certain lock, but that it's not perfect for eating food off of a plate. But if one says just "This key is perfect," then it's not really clear what kind of claim one is making (assuming we don't merely assume that the statement implicitly means something like "This key is perfect (for this lock).")

AiA said:
Is God perfect?

I say no, I say God is not perfect but instinctive, created the universe as a natural purpose.

The content of this post is just mere opinion / bald assertion with no logical support or motivation behind the question, and so it doesn't meet the Philosophy Forum Guidelines. If you ask people to 'prove' their viewpoints, the least you could do is provide some sort of substantive depiction of your own viewpoint (and ensure that your viewpoint goes beyond just "I believe so and so...").

AiA said:
Is God perfect?

If it was purely instinctive, where did the instincts come from? Instincts are a quality which are inherited aren't they?

opinions hold no place in search of truth

I'm not asking for opinions, I don't want opinions, I want truth, provide truth and give me reason to believe in that that is truth and I'll believe.

this God or essence is purely metaphysical, hence its essence comes from no where, it is what it is eternally, was the first cause and the eternal cause.

Also when I speak of perfection, I speak of this essence as the "perfect creater" as you used the example of the "perfect key" for that lock, now I'm asking (based on that most religions revolved around God state that God is omnipotent and perfect in every aspect.) I'm asking why God is perfect in every aspect, perfectly perfect.

Does a perfect circle and a perfect square exist? Yes, they do in the metaphysical sense, just like God does, as concepts. Now, if there was more to God than that which is merely conceptual, albeit He may exist within the same realm, aren't we also to conclude that God is perfect?

Last edited:
Please clarify why you presume God is perfect, it holds no foundation, no premise for your argument.

AiA, you still haven't even attempted a proof of your own conclusion. Why should anyone here provide you with a proof of their conclusion if you haven't the courtesy to do the same?

I'm not trying to prove anything, I gave my views which I myself am skeptical about, hence why I'm asking others to logically prove or disprove God's perfection so I can understand why he is or isn't perfect.

AiA said:
Please clarify why you presume God is perfect, it holds no foundation, no premise for your argument.
All I'm saying is that if the conception of perfection is possible, wouldn't this also hold true for a God which created and exists within the same realm? The realm of concepts is the realm of standards, so why shouldn't God be on at least equal par with the standards He creates? You want proof? ... This is logical at least anyway.

"The Perfect and the Perfect are one Perfect, not two. Nay are none."

from the Book of the Law by Aleister Crowley

God being perfect is logical, I'm not doubting that, but there's no proof for it, the way I see it, arguments for God are nothing more than last resorts arguments, "Where did the universe come from, if mattar can't be created or destroyed then how was it created and how will it be destroyed, it must be God." emphasis on the "it must be", this proves nothing but that until we find more logical explanations (if ever) this is just a quick fix explanation.

AiA said:
God being perfect is logical, I'm not doubting that, but there's no proof for it, the way I see it, arguments for God are nothing more than last resorts arguments, "Where did the universe come from, if mattar can't be created or destroyed then how was it created and how will it be destroyed, it must be God." emphasis on the "it must be", this proves nothing but that until we find more logical explanations (if ever) this is just a quick fix explanation.
Are you looking for proof of God? Or, that God is perfect? Is this the argument you're using to try and disprove God?

a proof of God being perfect is a proof of God, and tahts what I'm looking for.

AiA,

You are asking for a proof of a characteristic of a hypothetical being whose existential qualities cannot be objectively demonstrated by anyone.

What's the point?

AiA said:
a proof of God being perfect is a proof of God, and tahts what I'm looking for.
About all you can do is speculate on it I would think and try to ascertain if perfection was possible first. And if you could, then it would be a matter of acknowledging that perfection stems from that which created it. And, while I believe perfection exists in theory (in the realm of concepts and absolutes that is), I still don't know if that's enough to say that God did it. It's getting close though I think. :wink:

In my experience...

Nothing is perfect
In the space where nothing exists
will one find perfection
The perfect nothing

seek

...couldn't resist :wink:

AiA,

We have discussed this topic many times in the past. Please clarify your stance on what you believe this god is, this essence as you call it. This way, everybody viewing this thread will be able to better prove for God's perfection. Without your summary of what you believe "the essence" is, its hard for everybody to distinguish between proving the existence of God or proving that God is perfect.

I apologize for the misconception, in proving that God is perfect proves the religios notion of God, that is in essence what I am asking for proof of. So I'm asking to prove if an omnipotent being exists, which is God.

1. Is there scientific evidence that proves God's perfection?

As a scientist, I must clarify that science is based on observable and measurable evidence, and therefore cannot prove or disprove the existence of a higher being such as God. The concept of perfection is also subjective and cannot be measured using scientific methods.

2. How do we know that God is perfect if we can't prove it scientifically?

The belief in God's perfection is a matter of faith and personal interpretation. Many religious texts and teachings describe God as perfect, and individuals may find personal experiences or feelings that reinforce this belief.

3. Can you provide concrete examples of God's perfection?

As mentioned before, the concept of perfection is subjective and varies from person to person. Some may view God's creation of the universe and the intricacies of life as examples of perfection, while others may find perfection in the moral and ethical teachings of their religious beliefs.

4. How does the concept of God's perfection relate to the existence of evil and suffering in the world?

This is a complex question that has been debated for centuries. Some believe that God's perfection allows for free will, and therefore, humans have the ability to choose evil and create suffering. Others believe that suffering and evil are necessary for growth and learning. Ultimately, the concept of God's perfection and the existence of evil is a matter of personal belief and interpretation.

5. Can science and religion coexist when it comes to the idea of God's perfection?

Science and religion are two different ways of understanding the world, and they can coexist as long as we acknowledge their different approaches. While science seeks to explain the how and what of the natural world, religion focuses on the why and meaning of life. The concept of God's perfection may be viewed differently by scientific and religious perspectives, but both can coexist in understanding and appreciating the complexities of the world we live in.