1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove Sequence is Bounded

1. Oct 10, 2007 #1
    Definitions: Let {x[n]} be a bounded sequence in Reals.
    We define {y[k]} and {z[k]} by
    y[k]=sup{x[n]: n [tex]\geq[/tex] k}, z[k]=inf{x[n]: n [tex]\geq[/tex] k}

Claim: (i) Both y[k] and z[k] are bounded sequences
    (ii){y[k]} is a decreasing sequence
    (iii){z[k]} is an increasing sequence

Proof: (i) suppose y[k] and z[k] are not bounded. this implies x[n] is unbounded, a contradiction. therefore, we conclude that both y[k] and z[k] are bounded.
    (ii)Let S[k] = {x[n]: n [tex]\geq[/tex] k} and S[k+1] = {x[n]: n [tex]\geq[/tex] k + 1}
    S[k] is a [tex]\subset[/tex] S[k+1], and if sup(S[k]) [tex]\leq[/tex] sup(S[k+1]), it follows that S[k] [tex]\leq[/tex] S[k+1]. We conclude that {y[k]} is decreasing.
    (iii)similar to part (ii) except inf(S[k+1]) [tex]\leq[/tex] inf(S[k])

Note: inf(A) [tex]\leq[/tex] inf(B) and sup(B) [tex]\leq[/tex] sup(A) have already been proven in an earlier exercise.

Where I Need Help: I need input regarding all three parts. I have made, at best, an informal sketch of a proof, and I would like some input on how to turn it into a rigorous proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you mean that B is a subset of A implies that sup(B)<=sup(A) and inf(B)>=inf(A), I really don't see the need for more 'rigor'. I think you have it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?