1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove series converges

1. Jun 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If a_1 + a_2 + ... is an infinite series converging to A, and b1, b2, ... is an infinite sequence that is bounded and monotonic, prove that (a_1)(b_1) + (a_2)(b_2) + ... converges

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really know where to start...all I can say is that if a_1 + a_2 + ... converges, then a_n approaches 0 as n goes to infinity, and so (a_n)(b_n) also has a limit of 0, since b_n converges to some finite value.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know that bn is bounded and monotonic. Have you tried using that? Given a general number b, you know
    [tex] \sum a_n b [/tex]
    converges right? Now try to compare that to the sequence

[tex] \sum a_n b_n[/tex] choosing b such that |bn| < b for all n

4. Jun 22, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi JG89! :smile:
    Yes :approve: … concentrate on that value (call it b) …

then use deltas and epsilons. :wink:

5. Jun 23, 2009 #4
    I have an intuitive idea of what's going on, but I'm having a hard time fleshing it out into an epsilon argument.

First off, since a_1 + a_2 + ... converges then b(a_1 + a_2 + ...) converges. I know that for large enough n, |(a_n)(b_n)| gets 'really' close to |(a_n)b|, since b is the limit of b_n. Since the b_n are monotonic, then as n increases the |(a_n)(b_n)| gets even closer to |(a_n)b|. I can in fact make this difference as small as I please, provided n is taken large enough and so it seems that after a certain n, the difference between (a_n)(b_n) and (a_n)b will become "negligible" and since (a_n)b is Cauchy, then (a_n)(b_n) is also Cauchy.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook