1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove sin(x+y) Analytic in R

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    or y fixed in ℝ, show f(x)=sin(x+y) is analytic in ℝ.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Clearly [itex] f(0 + x) = \sin(x+y) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n y^n [/itex] by the analyticity of [itex] \sin x [/itex]. Now how should I proceed?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2013 #2
    Can someone provide some guidance?

4. Apr 3, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know what you are looking for as a proof. In general if f(x) is analytic then f(x+c) is analytic for c a constant. Tell me why. If you don't know try expanding sin(x+y) using trig and the fact that sin(x) is analytic and cos(x) is also analytic.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  5. Apr 4, 2013 #4
    Ok here is why: using the same notation as above, f is analytic in a neighborhood of 0. Now [itex] f(x) = \sin(x+y) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n\frac{(x+y)^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!} [/itex] by the definition of sin(x) as a power series, which converges on R because the domain of sin(x+y) is R. Thus because f can be represented as a formal power series about 0, and that formal power series converges on all of R, then f is analytic in R (this is a theorem).

Will this do?

6. Apr 4, 2013 #5
    Can you check this Dick?

7. Apr 4, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you say what your exact definition of 'analytic' is? What you have is a not a power series expansion in x.

8. Apr 4, 2013 #7
    Yes what I wrote won't suffice for that very reason. Alternatively, computing the nth degree Taylor polynomial for f about 0, the coefficients are all bounded by 1 and so the remainder term goes to 0 as [itex] n [/itex] goes to infinity. Thus f is analytic in a neighborhood of 0. Because its Taylor series converges in R ([itex] \frac{1}{\limsup_{n \to \infty} \frac{c}{n!}} = \infty, |c| \le 1 [/itex] ), f is then analytic in R.

Does this work?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  9. Apr 4, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sin(x+y) is not bounded by 1 when (x+y) is a complex variable, if that's what you are thinking in your argument. Expanding in powers of (x+y) is a power series expansion around x=(-y). To get it's radius of convergence why don't you just try something simple, like a ratio test?

10. Apr 5, 2013 #9
    No; y is fixed in R. By analytic, I mean 'can be represented locally as a power series.'

The nth degree polynomial for f about 0 is:

[itex] \sum_{k=0}^{n} \frac{f^{(k)}(0)}{k!} x^k = \sin y + \cos y \cdot x - \frac{ \sin y }{2} x^2 + \cdots [/itex]

Looking at the remainder term,

[itex] R_n(x) = \frac{ f^{(n+1)}(\theta) }{(n+1)!} x^{n+1} \le \frac{1}{(n+1)!} x^{n+1} \to 0 [/itex] as [itex] n \to \infty, 0 < \theta < x [/itex]

Thus in a neighborhood of 0, f is given by its taylor series about 0 and so f is analytic in neighborhood of 0. This taylor series converges in R, and so f is analytic in R.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  11. Apr 5, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. Yes, you are just talking about real analytic.

12. Apr 5, 2013 #11
    How do I prove this generally though, like you we're saying in your first post?

13. Apr 5, 2013 #12

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Why don't you expand sin(x+y) in terms of sinx, cosx, siny, cosy , both of which are analytic? Then you can show that the product of analytic functions is analytic; don't think should be hard; maybe a bit annoying, keeping track of a lot of things, but don't think too hard.

You can use the proof that e^z as e^(x+iy) is (complex) analytic, and e^(x+iy)=(e^x)(e^iy)

to aid in your argument.

14. Apr 5, 2013 #13
    I'm looking for something more general, i.e. if f(x) is analytic, then f(x+c) is analytic.

15. Apr 5, 2013 #14

Bacle2

Science Advisor

If I understood you well, the same idea would work. Expand , then you have Sin(x)Cos(c)+Cos(x)Sin(c)

Then you just have the scaled sum (by Cos(c), Sin(c) respectively) of two analytic functions, which is analytic.

16. Apr 5, 2013 #15
    No I mean for a general function f (not necessarily the one I've specified).

17. Apr 5, 2013 #16
    Ok here is an argument: Because f is analytic, [itex] f(c+x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n [/itex]. Then [itex] g(0+x) = f(c+x) = f(x+c) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n [/itex], so g is analytic in a neighborhood of 0. Then g is analytic in (-R,R), R being the radius of convergence of the series.

Can someone confirm the validity of this argument?

18. Apr 5, 2013 #17

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Well, if f is analytic in (-oo,oo) and x+c is in (-oo,oo) , then f is analytic in (-oo,oo) , i.e., x+c lies in the domain of analyticity of f.

19. Apr 6, 2013 #18
    I don't quite understand what you've written; could you explain? Is what I've written correct?

20. Apr 6, 2013 #19

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Yes, what you said in #4 is correct; sorry,I started reading at post #10-or-so. What I meant is something similar to what you said: f(x) is analytic for all x in R , by assumption. Then x+c is a number in R, so that f should be analytic at x+c . Imagine if the problem were different and you had g analytic in some (-a,a). Then
    g would be analytic at x+c if -a<x+c<a .

21. Apr 6, 2013 #20
    I meant what I wrote in #16.

Also, I think what I wrote in #4 is incorrect because of what Dick said, i.e. the power series i had written is not a power series in x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted