Prove Sup S = c: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter HaLAA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary: It would seem to me that the two cases are x < 1 or 0 <= x <=1.".If 0 <= x <=1, then x < c + 1 since c is positive.if x < 1, then x^2 < c < x*c + x = x(c+1)thus x < c+1, by the completeness axiom, S has a least upper bound, let's called it b.I am stuck at this step, can anyone give me a hit or a suggestion to keep going. Thanks
HaLAA

Homework Statement

S≡{x|x∈ℝ,x≥0,x2 < c} Prove Sup S = c

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since x in the set real numbers, there are two cases for x: x < 1 or 0 <= x <=1

if 0 <= x <=1, then x < c + 1 since c is positive.
if x < 1, then x^2 < c < x*c + x = x(c+1)
thus x < c+1, by the completeness axiom, S has a least upper bound, let's called it b.

I am stuck at this step, can anyone give me a hit or a suggestion to keep going. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
HaLAA said:

Homework Statement

S≡{x|x∈ℝ,x≥0,x2 < c} Prove Sup S = c

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since x in the set real numbers, there are two cases for x: x < 1 or 0 <= x <=1
It would seem to me that the two cases are ##0 \le x \le 1## and ##x > 1##. Is there some reason you're not considering ##x > 1##?
HaLAA said:
if 0 <= x <=1, then x < c + 1 since c is positive.
if x < 1, then x^2 < c < x*c + x = x(c+1)
thus x < c+1, by the completeness axiom, S has a least upper bound, let's called it b.

I am stuck at this step, can anyone give me a hit or a suggestion to keep going. Thanks

Set S consists of all real numbers ##x## such that ##x\geq 0## and ##x^2 < C##.
We know ##C>0##, for if ##C<0##, there exists no real number that satisfies ##x^2 < C## and if ##C=0##, then ##x^2 < 0##, which is also impossible.
Provided that ##C>0## then we can say set S is non-empty and then apply the axiom:
If a non-empty subset has an upper bound, then it has a least upper bound.

If we establish ##b## as the candidate for the least upper bound, then ##b## satisfies certain critera:
1) ##x\leq b## for every ##x\in S## (in other words, ##b## has to be an upper bound)
2)For every ##\varepsilon >0##, there exists an ##x_0## such that ##b-\varepsilon < x_0## (meaning ##b## is the least of upper bounds)
EDIT:
The second criterion could also be written as:
2a)For every ##y\in\mathbb{R}## such that ##y < b##, there exists an ##x_0\in S## such that ##y < x_0##
2 and 2a mean the same thing.

We can agree that ##b## is an upper bound, now fix an arbitrary ##\varepsilon >0## and show that ##b## is indeed the least of upper bounds and in the finale it follows immediately after that ##\sqrt{C} = b##.

Last edited:
Surely sup S = sqrt c not c ? Unless I'm missing something ?

Likes nuuskur
davidmoore63@y said:
Surely sup S = sqrt c not c ? Unless I'm missing something ?
I meant ##\sqrt{C}## thanks for the correction :)

ok then so the proof of the OP would proceed as follows:

suppose Sup S = sqrt c + epsilon where epsilon > 0. Then (Sup S - epsilon /2)^2 > c (contradicting the definition of Sup S)
suppose Sup S = sqrt c - epsilon. Then (sup S + epsilon/2)^2 <c (again contradicting the definition of Sup S)
so Sup S = sqrt c

davidmoore63@y said:
ok then so the proof of the OP would proceed as follows:

suppose Sup S = sqrt c + epsilon where epsilon > 0. Then (Sup S - epsilon /2)^2 > c (contradicting the definition of Sup S)
suppose Sup S = sqrt c - epsilon. Then (sup S + epsilon/2)^2 <c (again contradicting the definition of Sup S)
so Sup S = sqrt c
Well, hurts my eyes without TeX, for one, but more importantly, do not post complete solutions. I merely referred to the definition in an attempt to hint at how to proceed.

ok noted

Mark44 said:
It would seem to me that the two cases are ##0 \le x \le 1## and ##x > 1##. Is there some reason you're not considering ##x > 1##?
That is a typo

1. What is the purpose of "Prove Sup S = c: Step-by-Step Guide"?

The purpose of this guide is to provide a step-by-step explanation of how to prove that the supremum (or least upper bound) of a set S is equal to a constant c.

2. What is the definition of supremum?

The supremum of a set is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all elements in the set. It is also known as the least upper bound.

3. What are the steps involved in proving Sup S = c?

The steps involved in proving Sup S = c are as follows:
1. Show that c is an upper bound of S.
2. Show that there is no smaller upper bound of S.
3. Conclude that c is the least upper bound (supremum) of S.

4. Can you provide an example of proving Sup S = c?

Yes, suppose we have a set S = {1,2,3,4,5} and we want to prove that Sup S = 5.
1. Show that 5 is an upper bound of S:
Since all elements in S are less than or equal to 5, 5 is an upper bound of S.
2. Show that there is no smaller upper bound of S:
Assume there exists a number c such that c < 5 and c is also an upper bound of S. However, this is not possible since 5 is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all elements in S. Therefore, there is no smaller upper bound of S.
3. Conclude that 5 is the supremum of S:
Since 5 is an upper bound of S and there is no smaller upper bound, 5 is the least upper bound (supremum) of S.

5. Why is proving Sup S = c important in mathematics?

Proving Sup S = c is important because the supremum is a fundamental concept in real analysis and plays a crucial role in the study of limits, continuity, and convergence of sequences and series. It also has applications in optimization and set theory.