1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that a-b=9(probablity)

1. Apr 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    let E be set of natural numbers where 0<n≤100 Card E = 55
    Prove that there exists atleast 2 numbers a and b in each set where a-b=9

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\existsk1[/itex][itex]\in[/itex][[ ]] x1=9k1+r1 r1[itex]\in[/itex][[ ]]
    [itex]\existsk2[/itex][itex]\in[/itex][[ ]] x1=9k2+r2 r2[itex]\in[/itex][[ ]]
    [itex]\existsk55[/itex][itex]\in[/itex][[ ]] x1=9k55+r55 r2[itex]\in[/itex][[ ]]
    (using derkil theory usually solves these kinds of problems )
    but the above didn't help me, anyway i need to make sure that i could get any numbers from 1 to 100 in every equationi tried doing this
    [itex]\existsk1[/itex][itex]\in[/itex][[1, 9 ]] x1=9k1+r1 r1[itex]\in[/itex][[1,54 ]]
    [itex]\existsk2[/itex][itex]\in[/itex][[1 , 9 ]] x1=9k2+r2 r2[itex]\in[/itex][[ 1,54 ]]
    [itex]\existsk55[/itex][itex]\in[/itex][[1 ,9 ]] x1=9k55+r55 r2[itex]\in[/itex][[1,54 ]]
    we have 55 r and these r are all in a setB Card b = 54
    then atleast there exists ri and rj where ri = rj
    so there exists xi and xj such as xi - xj = 9(ki-kj)+ri-ri
    xi-xj=9(ki-kj)
    now this sadly dosen't get me anywhere because ki - kj must be equal to 1 or -1 .. ( i hope you guys are getting what i'm trying to do here)
    anyway i randomly noticed that 54/6 = 9 so i tried another way ..
    [itex]\existsk1[/itex][itex]\in[/itex][[ [2] , [3] ]] x1=54/k1+r1 r1[itex]\in[/itex][[ ]]
    [itex]\existsk2[/itex][itex]\in[/itex][[ [2] , [3] ]] x1=54/k2+r2 r2[itex]\in[/itex][[ ]]
    [itex]\existsk55[/itex][itex]\in[/itex][[ [2] , [3] ]] x1=54/k55+r55 r2[itex]\in[/itex][[ ]]
    now tis way "might" work if and only if the ki and kj are different we will have
    xi-xj= 54/ki - 54/kj
    =(54ki-54kj)/kikj
    but the problem on this one is that i can't find a set which contains r's and it's card <55..
    i really need help on this problem

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand your notation.

You could consider the sets {1,10,...}, {2,11,...}, ...
    Can you calculate the maximal cardinality of a set where no two numbers have a difference of 9?

4. Apr 18, 2013 #3
    Thanks I knew I was just fooling IA used the same notation in a similar exercise

5. Apr 18, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

As posted, this is pretty much gibberish.
    Were you asking a serious question? It's to tell from the work you show.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted