Prove that a matrix A is invertible if and only if its reduced row echelon row is the

1. Prove that a matrix A is invertible if and only if its reduced row echelon row is the identity matrix.

2. jcsd
  3. rock.freak667

rock.freak667 6,220
    Homework Helper

Re: Prove that a matrix A is invertible if and only if its reduced row echelon row is

Even though I was never taught linear algebra fully, to do this problem I would consider what would make the matrix A invertible and what would it mean if the RRE form wasn't the identity matrix.

But I am not sure if that would be a valid proof.

4. Defennder

Defennder 2,616
    Homework Helper

Re: Prove that a matrix A is invertible if and only if its reduced row echelon row is

This isn't too hard to prove. You can start by asking yourself what a row operation on a matrix translates to in matrix algebra. And what do the matrices corresponding to the row-operations amount to when they row-reduce A to I?

As for the "forward" conjecture, well I can think of something some might find objectionable. If it does not row-reduce A to I, it the RRE form has a row of zeros. That means that the determinant is 0 and hence it is not invertible. I'm sure there's a better way to do this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook