1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that a set is a monoid, but not a ring.

1. Apr 24, 2005 #1
    End n(k) is the set of all polynomial mappings: k^n->k^n. i have to prove that end n(k) is a monoid.

k is a field of q elements and n is the number of variables.

the composition of two mappings F G is: F o G = F o G(v) = [F1(G1(v),..Gn(v)), ... Fn(G1(v),...Gn(v))]

i must prove that the composition is associative and that there is a unit element.

id=X=(x1,...,xn) is obviously the unit.

but how do i prove associativity? i was thinking of using commutativity somehow:(x^n)^m = x^(n*m) = x^(m*n) = (x^m)^n

last, how do i show that End n(k) is not a ring? is it distributivity it fails? for all x,y,z E A ->
    (x+y)z=xz + yz og z(x+y)=zx + zy

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should already know that!

I presume you mean with composition as the multiplicative operation?

Well, if it's not a ring, and all of the other properties are satisfied, then it would have to be!

4. Apr 24, 2005 #3
    i guess it is obvious that composition is associative, but i'm not sure how to prove it.

and yes, composition is the multiplicative operation.

5. Apr 24, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Associativity is a basic result about the composition of functions -- it shouldn't be something you have to prove.

But if you really want to do it, simply use the definition of composition.

6. Apr 24, 2005 #5
    hm, ok. so i guess then i have to show that if F and G is in End n(k), then so is F o G in End n(k). however, this seems pretty obvious to me. how do prove that? is there a elegant proof of this?

7. Apr 24, 2005 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You always had to prove the composition of two things in End n(k) was again in End n(k) -- I had assumed you had already done that, or I would have said something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?