1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that every non-zero vector in V is a maximal vector

1. Nov 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V be a finite dimensional vector space and T is an operator on V. Assume [itex]μ_{T}(x)[/itex] is an irreducible polynomial. Prove that every non-zero vector in V is a maximal vector.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]μ_{T}(x)[/itex] is the minimal polynomial on V with respect to T.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure how to go about solving this problem. I know that if T is cyclic then [itex]\exists \vec{v} \in V[/itex] such that [itex]<T,\vec{v}>=V[/itex], then for any [itex]\vec{w}\in V[/itex],
    [itex]\exists f(x) \in F[x][/itex] such that [itex] \vec{w} = f(T)(\vec{v})[/itex]
    and it follows that [itex]μ_{T,\vec{w}}(x) = \frac{μ_{T}(x)}{gcd(μ_{T}(x),f(x))}[/itex]
    However, since [itex]μ_{T}(x)[/itex] is an irreducible polynomial, then [itex]gcd(μ_{T}(x),f(x)) = μ_{T}(x)[/itex] or [itex]gcd(μ_{T}(x),f(x)) = 1[/itex]
    If [itex]gcd(μ_{T}(x),f(x)) = μ_{T}(x)[/itex], then [itex]μ_{T,\vec{w}}(x) = 1[/itex], which implies that [itex]\vec{w} = I(\vec{w}) = \vec{0}[/itex]
    If [itex]gcd(μ_{T}(x),f(x)) = 1[/itex], then [itex]μ_{T,\vec{w}}(x) = μ_{T}(x)[/itex], which means that [itex]\vec{w}[/itex] is a maximal vector. Thus every non-zero vector in V is a maximal vector.

However, I'm not sure how to prove that T is cyclic.

I also attempted to find the minimal polynomials with respect to the basis vectors for V.
    Since [itex]μ_{T}(x) = lcm(μ_{T,\vec{v_1}}(x),μ_{T\vec{v_2}}(x),...,μ_{T,\vec{v_n}}(x))[/itex]
    [itex]\Rightarrow μ_{T}(x)=μ_{T,\vec{v_1}}(x)=μ_{T,\vec{v_2}}(x)=...=μ_{T,\vec{v_n}}(x)[/itex] since the minimal polynomial is irreducible. But then I didn't know where to go from there either.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?