Is f Bounded if It Has a Limit at Every Point on a Closed Interval?

• Thread starter fibfreak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bounded
In summary: The problem is that we can't say that since f is defined on each x in [0,1], there could be an x for which f(x) = 0 but for all other x, f(x) != 0. So, the limit as x goes to 0 is undefined.
fibfreak

Homework Statement

Let f:[a, b] -> R have a limit at each x in [a, b]. Prove that f is bounded.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea on how to start the proof. Completely lost.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem with not showing any work at all is that we have no idea what you know and can use. For example, I think there is a fairly simple proof using the fact that [a, b] is compact. Do you know anything about "compactness"?

HallsofIvy,
how can I use compactness directly if f is not supposed to be continuous function? I got no idea...thanks!

fibfreak,
what does "f has a limit at each x in [a,b]" imply? Let e>0 be given, you can associate a neighborhood with radius=delta(e,x) to each x in [a,b] such that, any y!=x and y in this neighborhood implies |f(y)-A(x)|<e, where A(x) is the limit of f at x.
[tex]\cup_{x\in [a,b]} N_{\delta(\epsilon,x)}(x)}[/tex] covers [a,b], by the compactness of [a,b], you can choose finitely many neighborhoods that covers [a,b], say N_1,N_2...N_s. in each neighborhoods, f has an upperbound A(x_i)+e and a lower bound A(x_i)-e. then max{A(x_1)+e,...A(x_s)+e} is the upper bound of f and min{A(x_1)-e,...A(x_s)-e} is the lower bound of f.
Also you can prove it by supposing f is not bounded. Find a sequence {x_n} such that f(x_n)>n. being an infinite subset of [a,b] (compact), {x_n} has a limit point in [a,b], say x. prove that f has no limit at this x and you get a contradiction.

However, there's a problem that puzzles me a bit.
What if f is defined (which means f(x) has some value for each x) on each x in [a,b]? can we say that f is bounded? since max{f(x), x in [a,b]} fails to work. I've no idea.

For example, suppose f is defined on [0, 1] by: f(x)= 0 if x is not of the form 1/n for n a positive integer, f(1/n)= n. That function is defined for all x in [0,1] but is NOT bounded. Of course, then the limit as x goes to 0 is not defined.

AH, yes...I forgot this one...Thanks a lot!

What does it mean for a function to be bounded?

A function is said to be bounded if there exists a number M such that the absolute value of the function is always less than or equal to M, for all values of the independent variable.

How can I prove that a function is bounded?

To prove that a function is bounded, you need to show that the absolute value of the function is always less than or equal to a specific number for all values of the independent variable. This can be done using various techniques such as using the definition of a bounded function or using the properties of limits.

Why is it important to prove that a function is bounded?

Proving that a function is bounded is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function and its range of values. It also allows us to make predictions about the function and its limits, which can be useful in many applications of mathematics and science.

What are some common strategies for proving that a function is bounded?

Some common strategies for proving that a function is bounded include using the squeeze theorem, applying the definition of a bounded function, and using the properties of limits such as the limit comparison test or the ratio test.

Can a function be both bounded and unbounded?

No, a function cannot be both bounded and unbounded. A function is either bounded or unbounded, depending on whether there exists a specific number that bounds the absolute value of the function for all values of the independent variable. A function cannot have both properties at the same time.