1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Prove that F is complete

1. Aug 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let F be an ordered field in which every strictly monotone increasing sequence bounded above converges. Prove that F is complete

2. Relevant equations

Definitions:

Monotone Sequence property:
    Let F be an ordered field. We say that F has the monotone sequence property if every monotone increasing sequence bounded above converges.

Completeness Property:
    An ordered field is said to be complete if it obeys the monotone sequence property

3. The attempt at a solution

Approach 1
    I'm not sure what exactly to prove. The question says that "strictly monotone increasing sequence bounded above converges" which is pretty much the monotone sequence property. And by the completeness property, F is complete . So what exactly am I supposed to do ? It seems trivial.

Approach 2
    I could also get any strictly increasing sequence and extract an increasing subsequence which is bounded above and thus converges by monotone sequence property

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 'strictly monotone' sequences are a subset of the 'monotone' sequences. I think you have to take a monotone sequence and show it converges because it either contains a strictly monotone subsequence, or it's eventually constant.

4. Aug 22, 2010 #3
    I see what you are trying to say but the problem with this approach is that I cannot readily find a way of doing this.

Can I perhaps repeat some terms in the strictly monotone sequence to obtain a "regular" monotone sequence.

Eg
    Let [tex]< a_{n}>[/tex] be a strictly monotone sequence then we define
    [tex]<a*_{n}>[/tex]
    where [tex] <a*_{n}> = <a_{0},a_{0},a_{1},a_{1}...>[/tex]
    where [tex] a_{0}, ... ,a_{n}[/tex] are terms of the strictly monotone sequence [tex] <a_{n}>[/tex].
    [tex] <a*_{n}>[/tex] is a "regular" monotone sequence and is increase and bounded above thus, it converges.

Does this work ?

PS I took a look at the back of the book I'm using and it says
    "From a( nontrivial) monotone sequence [tex] <x_{n}>[/tex], extract a subsequence that is strictly monotone ". WHAT ? . I understand the writers hint.

5. Aug 22, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I see what you are trying to do but it's easier if you follow the books hint. Start with a monotone sequence and delete terms to get a strictly monotone sequence. Then show since the strictly monotone sequence converges, so does the original.

6. Aug 22, 2010 #5
    That seems good but considering that the chapter on cauchy sequences is further along I don't know any theorem to support my claim. I would have to show that the convergence, of a subsequence of a monotone increasing sequence, is enough to establish convergence of the sequence itself. I'm I over complicating things ?

7. Aug 22, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Overcomplicating. Just think epsilons and deltas. Use the definition of limit. You hardly need a theorem here. The terms you deleted are between the terms in the strictly monotone sequence.

8. Aug 22, 2010 #7
    Perfect, I see it.

Thanks a lot for the help.

9. Aug 23, 2010 #8
    This can also seen to hold true as every Cauchy sequence is bounded & has a monotonic subsequence .

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook