Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Prove that for n> 1 integral

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that for n> 1
    [tex]
    \int\limits_{0}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{(x + \sqrt{x^2 + 1})^n}} \mathrm{d}x = \frac{n}{n^2 - 1}
    [/tex]
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Tried substitute x = cosh theta, then

[tex]
    \frac{\mathrm{dx}}{\mathrm{d}\theta} = \sinh \theta
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \int\limits_{0}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{(x + \sqrt{x^2 + 1})^n}} \mathrm{d}x = \int\limits_{0}^{\infty}{\frac{\sinh{\theta}}{(\cosh{\theta} + \sinh{\theta})^n }
    [/tex]
    I'm getting in the right direction here? I'm really stuck..

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Re: Integral

Isn't something missing here?

4. Nov 7, 2008 #3

n > 1

5. Nov 7, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think he meant your attempt at a solution :wink:

6. Nov 7, 2008 #5

well I believe that mentioning n > 1 also is quite important... I've tried to use sinh-substitution, but can't really say I'm getting any wiser about it.

7. Nov 7, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use cosh(x)=(e^x+e^(-x))/2 and sinh(x)=(e^x-e^(-x))/2. Now try to integrate it. It's really pretty easy.

8. Nov 7, 2008 #7

[tex]

\int\limits_{0}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{(x + \sqrt{x^2 + 1})^n}} \mathrm{d}x = \int\limits_{x = 0}^{x = \infty}{\frac{\sinh{\theta}}{(\cosh{\theta} + \sinh{\theta})^n } \mathrm{d}\theta

[/tex]

[tex]
    = \int\limits_{x = 0}^{x = \infty} \frac{e^{\theta} - e^{-\theta}}{(e^\theta)^n} \mathrm{d}\theta
    [/tex]
    Don't know what to do here.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  9. Nov 7, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Split it into two integrals. Use rules of exponents. And you are missing a factor of 1/2, I think.

10. Nov 8, 2008 #9

[tex]
    \frac{1}{2} \int\limits_{x = 0}^{x = \infty} {e^{\theta - n\theta}} \mathrm{d}\theta -
    \frac{1}{2} \int\limits_{x = 0}^{x = \infty}{e^{-\theta - n\theta} \mathrm{d}\theta =

[/tex]

Then integrating and substitute back, don't really seem to get rid of those exponentials..

11. Nov 8, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just continue. Write down the antiderivatives. n>1. The contribution from infinity vanishes. It's the theta=0 part that counts. And e^0=1. See, no exponential?

12. Nov 8, 2008 #11

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Your original substitution x= cosh(theta) has a fundamental problem: the lower limit of integration is x= 0 and cosh(theta) is never 0. I would suggest x= tan(y) instead.

13. Nov 8, 2008 #12

Is that a problem? when integrating and substituting back the cosh dissappears does'nt it?

14. Nov 8, 2008 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, it's a problem. If you use x=cosh(theta), 1+cosh(theta)^2 isn't equal to sinh(theta)^2. It's the other way around. Use x=sinh(theta). (You had said you were using sinh-substitution, and I didn't notice you had it backwards.) It looks almost the same as x=cosh(theta) except for a sign difference.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  15. Nov 8, 2008 #14

So
    [tex]
    \int\limits_{0}^{\intfty}{\frac{\cosh{\theta}}{(\sinh{\theta} + \cosh{\theta})^n}}\mathrm{d}\theta = \frac{1}{2}\int\limits_{x = 0}^{x = \infty}{\frac{e^{x} + e^{-x}}{(e^x)^n}}{\mathrm{d}\theta}
    [/tex]
    and

[tex]
    \frac{1}{2}\int\limits_{x = 0}^{x = \infty}{e^{\theta - n\theta}}\mathrm{d}\theta + \frac{1}{2}\int\limits_{x = 0}^{x = \infty}{e^{-\theta - n\theta}}\mathrm{d}\theta

[/tex]

and then factorize e^{1 - n} out?
    [tex]
    \frac{e^{1 - n}}{2} \int\limits_{x = 0}^{x = \infty}{cosh \theta}~ \mathrm{d}\theta
    [/tex]

16. Nov 8, 2008 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Noooo. And you can change your limits to theta=0 etc, ok? Your first integral is e^((1-n)*theta). That's EASY to integrate.

17. Nov 8, 2008 #16

ahh. figured out, thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook