1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that for n> 1 integral

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that for n> 1
    [tex]
    \int\limits_{0}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{(x + \sqrt{x^2 + 1})^n}} \mathrm{d}x = \frac{n}{n^2 - 1}
    [/tex]
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Tried substitute x = cosh theta, then

[tex]
    \frac{\mathrm{dx}}{\mathrm{d}\theta} = \sinh \theta
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \int\limits_{0}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{(x + \sqrt{x^2 + 1})^n}} \mathrm{d}x = \int\limits_{0}^{\infty}{\frac{\sinh{\theta}}{(\cosh{\theta} + \sinh{\theta})^n }
    [/tex]
    I'm getting in the right direction here? I'm really stuck..

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Integral

Isn't something missing here?

4. Nov 7, 2008 #3

n > 1

5. Nov 7, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think he meant your attempt at a solution :wink:

6. Nov 7, 2008 #5

well I believe that mentioning n > 1 also is quite important... I've tried to use sinh-substitution, but can't really say I'm getting any wiser about it.

7. Nov 7, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use cosh(x)=(e^x+e^(-x))/2 and sinh(x)=(e^x-e^(-x))/2. Now try to integrate it. It's really pretty easy.

8. Nov 7, 2008 #7

[tex]

\int\limits_{0}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{(x + \sqrt{x^2 + 1})^n}} \mathrm{d}x = \int\limits_{x = 0}^{x = \infty}{\frac{\sinh{\theta}}{(\cosh{\theta} + \sinh{\theta})^n } \mathrm{d}\theta

[/tex]

[tex]
    = \int\limits_{x = 0}^{x = \infty} \frac{e^{\theta} - e^{-\theta}}{(e^\theta)^n} \mathrm{d}\theta
    [/tex]
    Don't know what to do here.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  9. Nov 7, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Split it into two integrals. Use rules of exponents. And you are missing a factor of 1/2, I think.

10. Nov 8, 2008 #9

[tex]
    \frac{1}{2} \int\limits_{x = 0}^{x = \infty} {e^{\theta - n\theta}} \mathrm{d}\theta -
    \frac{1}{2} \int\limits_{x = 0}^{x = \infty}{e^{-\theta - n\theta} \mathrm{d}\theta =

[/tex]

Then integrating and substitute back, don't really seem to get rid of those exponentials..

11. Nov 8, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just continue. Write down the antiderivatives. n>1. The contribution from infinity vanishes. It's the theta=0 part that counts. And e^0=1. See, no exponential?

12. Nov 8, 2008 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your original substitution x= cosh(theta) has a fundamental problem: the lower limit of integration is x= 0 and cosh(theta) is never 0. I would suggest x= tan(y) instead.

13. Nov 8, 2008 #12

Is that a problem? when integrating and substituting back the cosh dissappears does'nt it?

14. Nov 8, 2008 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, it's a problem. If you use x=cosh(theta), 1+cosh(theta)^2 isn't equal to sinh(theta)^2. It's the other way around. Use x=sinh(theta). (You had said you were using sinh-substitution, and I didn't notice you had it backwards.) It looks almost the same as x=cosh(theta) except for a sign difference.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  15. Nov 8, 2008 #14

So
    [tex]
    \int\limits_{0}^{\intfty}{\frac{\cosh{\theta}}{(\sinh{\theta} + \cosh{\theta})^n}}\mathrm{d}\theta = \frac{1}{2}\int\limits_{x = 0}^{x = \infty}{\frac{e^{x} + e^{-x}}{(e^x)^n}}{\mathrm{d}\theta}
    [/tex]
    and

[tex]
    \frac{1}{2}\int\limits_{x = 0}^{x = \infty}{e^{\theta - n\theta}}\mathrm{d}\theta + \frac{1}{2}\int\limits_{x = 0}^{x = \infty}{e^{-\theta - n\theta}}\mathrm{d}\theta

[/tex]

and then factorize e^{1 - n} out?
    [tex]
    \frac{e^{1 - n}}{2} \int\limits_{x = 0}^{x = \infty}{cosh \theta}~ \mathrm{d}\theta
    [/tex]

16. Nov 8, 2008 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Noooo. And you can change your limits to theta=0 etc, ok? Your first integral is e^((1-n)*theta). That's EASY to integrate.

17. Nov 8, 2008 #16

ahh. figured out, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?