Prove that, if f(x) is differentiable at x =c , then f(x) is continous at x=c

In summary, we use the definition of limit to show that for any given ε>0, there exists a δ>0 such that |x-c| < δ implies |f(x)-f(c)| < ε, proving that f(x) is continuous at x=c. This is shown by using the properties of limits and manipulating the expression to show that the limit of f(x) as x approaches c equals f(c).
kramer733

Homework Statement

From the definition of the derivative, prove that, if f(x) is differentiable at x=c, then f(x) is continuous at x=c.

Homework Equations

f'(c) = lim [f(x)-f(c)]/(x-c) This is the definition for a function to be differentiable at
x->c x=c.

The Attempt at a Solution

we are required to prove that
lim f(x) = f(c) (this is what it means for the function to be continuous
x->c

lim f(x) - f(c) = 0
x->c

This looks a lot like the numerator for the definition of differentiable at x=c.

From here, I'm lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the definition of limit to make an inequality (< ε for some ε > 0) to get yourself started and simplify. From there it is useful to change your x's into x[itex]_{n}[/itex]'s

Menelaus said:
Use the definition of limit to make an inequality (< ε for some ε > 0) to get yourself started and simplify. From there it is useful to change your x's into x[itex]_{n}[/itex]'s

so right now i`m at the following:

0 < |x-c| < δ --> |f(x)-f(c)| <ε

But this thing has no numbers. I'm not used to it. I can perform the "reverse" triangle inequality on |x-c| but I'm still stuck. Could you give me 1 or 2 more step hint?

kramer733 said:
so right now i`m at the following:

0 < |x-c| < δ --> |f(x)-f(c)| <ε
If you could show this was true, you'd be done. This statement says the limit of f(x) as x approaches c is f(c).
But this thing has no numbers. I'm not used to it. I can perform the "reverse" triangle inequality on |x-c| but I'm still stuck. Could you give me 1 or 2 more step hint?
You know the function is differentiable at x=c. That means, as you said earlier, that the limit
[tex]\lim_{x \to c} \frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}[/tex]exists. In terms of δ and ε, that means: given ε>0, there exists δ>0 such that |x-c| < δ implies
[tex]\left|\frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}-f'(c)\right| < \varepsilon[/tex]where f'(c) denotes the value of the limit. You need to somehow go from this statement to the statement: given ε'>0, there exists δ'>0 such that |x-c|<δ' implies |f(x)-f(c)|<ε'.

I wanted to add, it's probably not necessary to use the δ-ε definition of the limit for the proof. Just use the various properties of limits that you know.

Thank you. I'll try it now.

vela said:
I wanted to add, it's probably not necessary to use the δ-ε definition of the limit for the proof. Just use the various properties of limits that you know.

That'd probably be more likely on the exam. I don't think I'm expected to prove this with epsilon deltas anyway but even then, I'm sort of lost. I was hoping i didn't have to prove this with epsilon deltas as well. If we go back to where I'm at with the original post, what would be the next step in proving this with the limit laws?

In your first post, you noted that you want to show that
[tex]\lim_{x \to c} f(x)-f(c) = 0.[/tex]You also noted it looked like the numerator in the definition of the derivative. So what if you looked at something like
[tex]\lim_{x \to c} \left[\frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}\cdot(x-c)\right]?[/tex]

vela said:
In your first post, you noted that you want to show that
[tex]\lim_{x \to c} f(x)-f(c) = 0.[/tex]You also noted it looked like the numerator in the definition of the derivative. So what if you looked at something like
[tex]\lim_{x \to c} \left[\frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}\cdot(x-c)\right]?[/tex]

but here's where i got confused.

if you did that, it's f'(c) = lim [f(x)-f(c)]
x->c

It still doesn't equal zero though.

How did you get f'(c) = lim [f(x)-f(c)]?

vela said:
How did you get f'(c) = lim [f(x)-f(c)]?

oh wait nvm. Sorry but i meamnt to say that.

lim f(x)-f(c)=0. We need that but do we know that f'(c) = 0?
x->c

You're trying to prove that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow c} f(x)-f(c) = 0[/itex], not that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow c} \frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c} = 0[/itex]. So you don't need to know that f'(c) is 0, you only have to know that it exists

oh wait nvm. Sorry but i meamnt to say that

We need that:

lim f(x)-f(c)=0.
x->c
However we have:

lim f(x)-f(c). It doesn't equal zero.
x->c

I'm just confused.

Citan Uzuki said:
You're trying to prove that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow c} f(x)-f(c) = 0[/itex], not that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow c} \frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c} = 0[/itex]. So you don't need to know that f'(c) is 0, you only have to know that it exists

Oh ok. So then the proof is basically done then right?

Depends. What did you say?

1. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable at a point?

When a function is differentiable at a point, it means that the slope of the tangent line at that point exists and is unique. In other words, the function has a well-defined instantaneous rate of change at that point.

2. How is continuity related to differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are closely related concepts. A function is continuous at a point if its limit exists at that point, and a function is differentiable at a point if its derivative exists at that point. Therefore, a function that is differentiable at a point must also be continuous at that point.

3. How can we prove that if f(x) is differentiable at x=c, then f(x) is continuous at x=c?

The proof involves using the definition of differentiability, which states that a function f(x) is differentiable at a point c if the limit of its difference quotient as x approaches c exists. By showing that this limit exists and is equal to the value of the function at c, we can prove that the function is continuous at c.

4. Can a function be differentiable at a point but not continuous at that point?

No, a function cannot be differentiable at a point if it is not continuous at that point. This is because the existence of the derivative at a point depends on the function being continuous at that point.

5. What is the significance of proving that a function is differentiable at a point?

Proving that a function is differentiable at a point allows us to make conclusions about the behavior of the function at that point. It tells us that the function has a well-defined instantaneous rate of change at that point, which can help us to analyze the behavior of the function and make predictions about its values in a small interval around that point.