1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that if x > limsup s_n, then x is not the limit of any subsequence

1. Aug 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Directly from the definition, for a sequence [tex](s_n)_{n \in \mathbb{N}} \subseteq \mathbb{R}[/tex] prove that if [tex]x > \limsup s_n [/tex], then [tex]x[/tex] is not the limit of any subsequence of [tex](s_n)[/tex]. (i.e. Do not use the fact that [tex]\limsup s_n[/tex] is the supremum of the set of subsequential limits.)

2. Relevant equations
    I have been told by my instructor that my proof will fail due to problems with inequalities --- but I fail to see where it would fail; i.e. are there any errors where [tex]>[/tex] should be [tex]\ge[/tex] or vice-versa?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let's first show that for any sequence [tex](s_n)[/tex] and any number [tex]M[/tex], if [tex]s_n > M[/tex] for all [tex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex], then [tex]\limsup s_n \geq M[/tex]. Since [tex]s_n > M[/tex] for all [tex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex], then it follows that [tex]s_n > M[/tex] for all [tex]n > N[/tex] for some [tex]N \in \mathbb{N}[/tex]. Now, let's denote [tex]v_N = \sup\{s_n : n > N\}[/tex]. Since [tex]v_N[/tex] is the least upper bound for [tex]s_n[/tex] when [tex]n > N[/tex], then it follows that we have [tex]v_N \geq s_n > M[/tex] for [tex]n > N[/tex]. And note that we have the property [tex]v_N \geq v_{N+1} \geq \ldots[/tex] and so [tex](v_N)[/tex] is monotonically decreasing and since [tex](s_n)[/tex] is bounded, by the monotone convergence theorem, [tex]\lim_{N \to \infty}v_N[/tex] exists and is real. Moreover, this is precisely the definition of the limit superior and hence, we have that [tex]\lim_{N \to \infty}v_N = \lim_{N \to \infty}\sup\{s_n : n > N\} = \limsup s_n[/tex]. Thus, we have [tex]\limsup s_n > M[/tex] as desired.

For contradiction, suppose that [tex]x[/tex] is the limit of some subsequence [tex](s_{n_k})[/tex] of the sequence [tex](s_n)[/tex]. Let's first denote [tex]v = \limsup s_n[/tex]. Note that if [tex]\lim_{k \to \infty}s_{n_k} = x > v[/tex], then there exists some [tex]N[/tex] such that for all [tex]k > N[/tex], we have [tex]s_{n_k} > v[/tex]. Now, consider [tex]s_{n_k} > v[/tex] for all [tex]k > N[/tex]. Then by the result above, and since removing finite number of terms [tex]1 \leq k \leq N[/tex] does not affect convergence results, it implies [tex]\limsup s_{n_k} > v = \limsup s_n[/tex] --- contradiction, since [tex]\{s_{n_k}: k > N\} \subseteq \{s_n: n > N\}[tex], it implies [tex] \sup\{s_{n_k} : k > N\} \leq \sup\{s_n : n > N\}[tex] and thus [/tex] \lim_{N \to \infty}\sup\{s_{n_k} : k > N\} \leq \lim_{N \to \infty}\sup\{s_n : n > N\}[/tex].

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2009 #2
    Please ignore this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook