1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that m<f(x)<M

1. Dec 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

prove that m<f(x)<M
    so [itex]\forallx[/itex][itex]\in[/itex]R: f(x)=[itex]\frac{x}{x^2 +x+1}[/itex]
    the question is prove that m[itex]\leq[/itex]f(x)[itex]\leq[/itex]M
    M and m are real numbers
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    all i did so far was making f(x) : (x+1)^2 +(3/4) well i noticed that m=-1 and M=4/3 from the graph but i can't really prove it well
    f(x)= 1-[itex]\frac{x^2+1}{x^2 +x +1}[/itex] = 1-[itex]\frac{x^2+1}{(x+1/2)^2+3/4}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2012 #2
    If you know the values of m = -1 and M = 4/3, you can try a direct approach:

If you want to prove ##-1 \leq \frac x{x^2+x+1}##, you can multiply both sides of that inequality by ##(x^2+x+1) = (x+\frac12)^2+\frac34##, which is positive (and so will not change the direction of the ##\leq## relation symbol):
    $$
    -(x^2+x+1) \leq \frac{x(x^2+x+1)}{x^2+x+1}.
    $$
    Can you now prove that this inequality is true?

4. Dec 13, 2012 #3
    well there is a slight problem here the exercise dosen't mention the -1 nor the 4/3
    so they are expecting us to do it "manually".

5. Dec 13, 2012 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

One approach to this sort of problem is to ask "What conditions must [itex]y[/itex] satisfy for [itex]y = f(x)[/itex] to have real solutions for [itex]x[/itex]?"

This is a particularly good approach in this case, because if [itex]y = x/(x^2 + x + 1)[/itex] then
    [tex]yx^2 + (y-1)x + y = 0[/tex]
    and hopefully you know the condition for that quadratic in [itex]x[/itex] to have real roots. That will give you a condition which [itex]y[/itex] must satisfy, which in turn will give you bounds for [itex]f(x)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook