Prove that n^3-n is divisible by 6 for every integer n

• Thread starter symplectic_manifold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary: Then same argument as before. In summary, the conversation is about proving that n^3-n is divisible by 6 for every integer n using induction and Hall's factorization. It is shown that n^3-n is always even, but to prove that it is divisible by 6, it is necessary to also show that 3 divides n^3-n. The concept of Hall's factorization is introduced and it is used to show that 2 divides n^3-n. The conversation then moves on to discussing how to handle the case for 3, and it is suggested to use the division algorithm to show that
symplectic_manifold
Prove that n^3-n is divisible by 6 for every integer n. Is it induction to be used here?...

Physics news on Phys.org
n3-n= n(n2-1)= n(n-1)(n+1)= (n-1)(n)(n+1), three consecutive integers. What does that tell you?

Oh, My!...shame on me!
Now that I submitted this thread and can't delete it:
Is it generally right?:
If 6 divides n^3-n then, since divisibility is transitive and 2 divides 6 , 2 must also divide n^3-n. Let n be even then n^3 is even and n^3-n is also even. Let n be odd then n^3 is odd and hence n^3-n is even. Since every even number is divisible by 2 it follows that 6 divides n^3-n.

symplectic_manifold said:
If 6 divides n^3-n then, since divisibility is transitive and 2 divides 6 , 2 must also divide n^3-n. Let n be even then n^3 is even and n^3-n is also even. Let n be odd then n^3 is odd and hence n^3-n is even. Since every even number is divisible by 2 it follows that 6 divides n^3-n.

You're going at this backwards assuming 6 divides n^3-n then showing 2 divides it?

You've managed to show 2 divides n^3-n by considering n even or odd, but to show 6 divides n^3-n you need to also show 3 divides n^3-n. Consider Hall's factorization, can you show 3 divides (n-1)n(n+1) for any n?

Oh sorry, thanks, HallsofIvy, you seem to have won the race!...posted a few minutes earlier...I didn't see it. :)

n3-n= n(n2-1)= n(n-1)(n+1)= (n-1)(n)(n+1), three consecutive integers. What does that tell you?

oh that was even more easier! nice...that n^3-n is always even?...

You've managed to show 2 divides n^3-n by considering n even or odd, but to show 6 divides n^3-n you need to also show 3 divides n^3-n. Consider Hall's factorization, can you show 3 divides (n-1)n(n+1) for any n?

...now that was my problem...how can I show that 3 divides n^3-n?...I need to show that the sum of the digits is divisible by 3...but the number is encoded in a formula!...so what can I do?

I don't have an idea of the Hall's factorization...could you tell me more about it or post me a link to a resource?

well, this is a problem at the very beginning of Nathanson's Elementary Methods in Number Theory, which I've just started reading...since I have no idea of number theory. It actually has no prerequisites for this problem except transitivity, division algorithm and induction principle...well there is also a theorem about an m-adic representation of numbers...but I don't think it needs to be used here...

Here's how you could show n^3-n is divisible by 2 using Hall's factorization:

n^3-n=(n-1)n(n+1). So for any n, we must have both n-1 and n dividing n^3-n. n-1 and n are consequetive integers, hence one of them is divisible by 2. Therefore n^3-n is divisible by 2.

Does this give you any ideas on how to handle the 3 case?

Great!...Can I generalise it by saying that among any n successive integers there is exactly one divisible by n?...What is a formal proof for this?

Great!...Can I generalise it by saying that among any n successive integers there is exactly one divisible by n?...What is a formal proof for this?

That's correct. n successive integers starting at m look like m, m+1, ..., m+n-1. Use the division algorithm to write m=n*q+r, where 0<r<=n (note I've changed r slightly from the usual form). Then m+n-r is divisible by n and 0<=n-r<n so m+n-r is one of m, m+1, ..., m+n-1

OK, but why did you change r?...It's 0<=r<=n-1, is it?...which gives 1<=n-r<=n and not 0<=n-r<n...cant get it. °_°

...and doesn't that mean that m+1,...,m+n-1 are all divisible by n?

OK, but why did you change r?

Because it worked with the sequence I had already typed and seemed easier than going back to modify it. If you believe the division algorithm will give you an r with 0<=r<n you should be able to wrangle this to a different r with 0<r<=n, there's little difference.

Or you could change the consecutive numbers to m+1, m+2, ... m+n

What does it mean for a number to be divisible by 6?

A number is divisible by 6 if it can be divided evenly by 6 without leaving a remainder. In other words, the result of the division is a whole number.

How do you prove that n^3-n is divisible by 6 for every integer n?

This can be proved using mathematical induction. We first show that the statement is true for n=1, and then assume that it is also true for n=k. Using this assumption, we can prove that it is also true for n=k+1. This establishes the truth of the statement for all positive integers.

Why is it important to prove this statement for every integer n?

Proving this statement for every integer n provides a general proof for a specific pattern. It ensures that the statement holds true for all possible values of n, rather than just a few specific cases. This can be useful in solving other mathematical problems and in making accurate predictions.

What are the applications of this proof in real life?

This proof has practical applications in various fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering. It can be used to analyze and solve problems involving sequences, series, and patterns. In computer science, it can be used to optimize algorithms and in physics, it can be used to understand and predict physical phenomena.

Are there any other ways to prove this statement?

Yes, there are other methods to prove this statement such as using the Binomial Theorem or using the properties of even and odd numbers. However, using mathematical induction is the most common and efficient method to prove statements about sequences and patterns.