Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Prove that sequence converges

1. Nov 16, 2011 #1
    If an = [itex]\sqrt[n]{2^n+3^n}[/itex] does the sequence converge? Prove your assertion.

I have no idea where to start with this problem. It does have something to with [itex]\exists[/itex] N such that n>N [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] |an - a| < ϵ for all ϵ>0

Can yall help me? It would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start by factoring 3^n out of the radical. Use some algebra.

4. Nov 16, 2011 #3
    Can you get any results. Is the sequence bounded? Is it monotonically increasing or decreasing? etc?

5. Nov 16, 2011 #4
    It is monotone decreasing. Looking at a graph I can deduce that it converges to 3. but I really struggle with the proof...and the algebra sadly.

How would I factor 3^n out of the radical??

6. Nov 16, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Algebra. Factor 2^n+3^n=(3^n)*(something). What's the (something)? Find out by doing algebra.

7. Nov 16, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Lack of algebra skills is bad news. Let me put the same problem more simply. Suppose the expression were a+b=a*x. What's x?

8. Nov 16, 2011 #7
    I think I figured it out. would it be 3 * nth root of ((3/2)^n+1)?

9. Nov 16, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Close. Can you show how you got there? Why did you get (3/2)^n instead of (2/3)^n?

10. Nov 16, 2011 #9
    oops i meant to write that. so from here do i need to find the N?

11. Nov 16, 2011 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not necessarily. I don't think this is probably an epsilon type of proof, unless the problem says it is. You just need an argument that says it's true. lim n->inf (2/3)^n=0, right?

12. Nov 16, 2011 #11
    yes. but then i have the 1 under the radical and i know that the infinith root of 1 would be 1. but....i cannot split up the terms under the radical

13. Nov 16, 2011 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So? What would that make the limit? What's nth root of 1?

14. Nov 16, 2011 #13
    OHHH the limit would be three thank you so much. I think maybe i was supposed to do an epsilon proof but this should be sufficient

15. Nov 16, 2011 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Very welcome. I think an epsilon type proof would be more challenging than the problem actually calls for.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook