1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that sequence converges

1. Nov 16, 2011 #1
    If an = [itex]\sqrt[n]{2^n+3^n}[/itex] does the sequence converge? Prove your assertion.

I have no idea where to start with this problem. It does have something to with [itex]\exists[/itex] N such that n>N [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] |an - a| < ϵ for all ϵ>0

Can yall help me? It would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start by factoring 3^n out of the radical. Use some algebra.

4. Nov 16, 2011 #3
    Can you get any results. Is the sequence bounded? Is it monotonically increasing or decreasing? etc?

5. Nov 16, 2011 #4
    It is monotone decreasing. Looking at a graph I can deduce that it converges to 3. but I really struggle with the proof...and the algebra sadly.

How would I factor 3^n out of the radical??

6. Nov 16, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Algebra. Factor 2^n+3^n=(3^n)*(something). What's the (something)? Find out by doing algebra.

7. Nov 16, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Lack of algebra skills is bad news. Let me put the same problem more simply. Suppose the expression were a+b=a*x. What's x?

8. Nov 16, 2011 #7
    I think I figured it out. would it be 3 * nth root of ((3/2)^n+1)?

9. Nov 16, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Close. Can you show how you got there? Why did you get (3/2)^n instead of (2/3)^n?

10. Nov 16, 2011 #9
    oops i meant to write that. so from here do i need to find the N?

11. Nov 16, 2011 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not necessarily. I don't think this is probably an epsilon type of proof, unless the problem says it is. You just need an argument that says it's true. lim n->inf (2/3)^n=0, right?

12. Nov 16, 2011 #11
    yes. but then i have the 1 under the radical and i know that the infinith root of 1 would be 1. but....i cannot split up the terms under the radical

13. Nov 16, 2011 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So? What would that make the limit? What's nth root of 1?

14. Nov 16, 2011 #13
    OHHH the limit would be three thank you so much. I think maybe i was supposed to do an epsilon proof but this should be sufficient

15. Nov 16, 2011 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Very welcome. I think an epsilon type proof would be more challenging than the problem actually calls for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook