Convergence of the Sequence An = √(2^n + 3^n)

• Thread starter atthebeach
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary: If you need help with an epsilon proof, let me know and I can help you out.In summary, the sequence converges to 3.
atthebeach
If an = [itex]\sqrt[n]{2^n+3^n}[/itex] does the sequence converge? Prove your assertion.

I have no idea where to start with this problem. It does have something to with [itex]\exists[/itex] N such that n>N [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] |an - a| < ϵ for all ϵ>0

Can yall help me? It would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by factoring 3^n out of the radical. Use some algebra.

Can you get any results. Is the sequence bounded? Is it monotonically increasing or decreasing? etc?

It is monotone decreasing. Looking at a graph I can deduce that it converges to 3. but I really struggle with the proof...and the algebra sadly.

How would I factor 3^n out of the radical??

atthebeach said:
It is monotone decreasing. Looking at a graph I can deduce that it converges to 3. but I really struggle with the proof...and the algebra sadly.

How would I factor 3^n out of the radical??

Algebra. Factor 2^n+3^n=(3^n)*(something). What's the (something)? Find out by doing algebra.

Lack of algebra skills is bad news. Let me put the same problem more simply. Suppose the expression were a+b=a*x. What's x?

I think I figured it out. would it be 3 * nth root of ((3/2)^n+1)?

atthebeach said:
I think I figured it out. would it be 3 * nth root of ((3/2)^n+1)?

Close. Can you show how you got there? Why did you get (3/2)^n instead of (2/3)^n?

oops i meant to write that. so from here do i need to find the N?

atthebeach said:
oops i meant to write that. so from here do i need to find the N?

Not necessarily. I don't think this is probably an epsilon type of proof, unless the problem says it is. You just need an argument that says it's true. lim n->inf (2/3)^n=0, right?

yes. but then i have the 1 under the radical and i know that the infinith root of 1 would be 1. but...i cannot split up the terms under the radical

atthebeach said:
yes. but then i have the 1 under the radical

So? What would that make the limit? What's nth root of 1?

OHHH the limit would be three thank you so much. I think maybe i was supposed to do an epsilon proof but this should be sufficient

Very welcome. I think an epsilon type proof would be more challenging than the problem actually calls for.

What is a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a specific value as the number of terms in the sequence increases.

How can you prove that a sequence converges?

To prove that a sequence converges, you can use the definition of convergence, which states that for a sequence to converge to a specific value, the terms in the sequence must get arbitrarily close to that value as the number of terms increases. This can be shown through various mathematical techniques such as the squeeze theorem or the Cauchy criterion.

What does it mean if a sequence does not converge?

If a sequence does not converge, it means that the terms in the sequence do not approach a specific value as the number of terms increases. This can happen if the terms in the sequence oscillate between different values or if the terms increase or decrease without bound.

Can a sequence converge to more than one value?

No, a sequence can only converge to one specific value. If a sequence has multiple values that it converges to, it is considered to be divergent.

Why is it important to prove that a sequence converges?

Proving that a sequence converges is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the sequence and its limit. This can be useful in various fields of science and mathematics, such as calculus, statistics, and physics. It also allows us to make accurate predictions and draw conclusions about the sequence.