1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that the difference between two expressions is always smaller than some amount

1. Jun 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Firstly, I'd just like to point out that this is not actually a course related question. I have been trying to teach myself mathematics, and have been grappling with this for a couple of days. The book has no answer at the back for this particular question.

Variables:
    [itex]0<x<1[/itex]
    [itex]0<b<a[/itex]

Show that [itex](1-\frac{1}{2}x^{2})^{2} < 1-x < (1-\frac{1}{2}x)^{2}[/itex]. Hence show that if [itex]0<b<a[/itex], the error in taking [itex] a-\frac{b^{2}}{2a}[/itex] as an approximation to [itex]\sqrt{a^{2}-b^{2}}[/itex] is positive and less than [itex]\frac{b^{4}}{2a^{3}}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first part is relatively easy:

Expansion of the inequality involving x gives:

[itex]1-x-\frac{3}{4}x^{2}+\frac{1}{2}x^{3}+\frac{1}{4}x^{4}<1-x<1-x+\frac{1}{4}x^{2}[/itex]​

Due to the fact fact that

[itex]0<x<1[/itex]​

The following is true:

[itex]x^{n}>x^{n+1}[/itex]​

This concept can be used to prove that

[itex]\frac{3}{4}x^{2}>\frac{1}{2}x^{3}+\frac{1}{4}x^{4}[/itex]​

The last part is more straightforward, it is simply due to the fact that:

[itex]\frac{1}{4}x^{2}>0[/itex]​

I have no idea how to connect the statement involving [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] to this set of inequalities, however from what I understand the initial statement is:

[itex]0<a-\frac{b^{2}}{2a}-\sqrt{a^{2}-b^{2}}<\frac{b^4}{2a^3}[/itex]​

I have attempted a bit of algebra jiggling, which gives:

[itex]2a^{2}+b^{2}<3a^{4}[/itex]​

Evidently, this is only true when [itex]a>1[/itex]

Any help would be much appreciated! I would really love to put this to rest, so that I can move beyond page 34... there are about 450 more to go.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2012 #2
    Re: Prove that the difference between two expressions is always smaller than some amo

Hint: Let [tex]x = \left( \frac{b}{a} \right) ^2[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook