Prove that the limit of the functions

In summary, the limit of cos(x), sen(x), and e^{ix} is 0 as x approaches infinity. The same applies for the limit of (1+x)^i when x approaches infinity. This is because e^{ix} is bounded and will ultimately be forced to zero by the e^{-x} term.
eljose
how do you prove that the limit of the functions [tex] cos(x) ,sen(x), e^{ix} [/tex] is 0 when [tex] x\rightarrow\infty [/tex]

another question what would be the limit of [tex] (1+x)^i [/tex] tending x to infinite?..thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what sen is but cos(x) and eix have no limit as x approches infinity.

Same goes for your other problem as well.

Note that
[tex] e^{ix} [/tex]
is bounded:
[tex] e^{ix} = \cos(x) + i\sin(x) [/tex]
so, for large, or arbitrary x, e^{ix}, the imaginary part will never be greater than 1, and the real part will never be greater than 1.
Thus, if you had:
[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{(i-1)x} [/tex]
the e^{-x} part forces the whole thing to go to zero.

What is a limit of a function?

A limit of a function is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It represents the value that a function is "approaching" as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value, but not necessarily equal to that value.

How do you prove the limit of a function?

To prove the limit of a function, one must show that for any arbitrarily small number, there exists a corresponding input value that makes the output of the function within that small number's range. This can be done using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit or by using algebraic manipulations of the function to show that it approaches a specific value as the input approaches a certain value.

What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value from one side (either the left or right). On the other hand, a two-sided limit considers the behavior of the function as the input approaches a specific value from both sides. This means that a two-sided limit may not exist if the behavior of the function is different from the left and right sides of the input value.

Why is it important to understand limits of functions?

Limits of functions are crucial in calculus and other areas of mathematics as they allow us to study the behavior of a function at specific points without having to evaluate the function at that point. They also help us understand concepts such as continuity, differentiability, and convergence of sequences and series. Additionally, limits have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Are there any special techniques for proving limits of specific types of functions?

Yes, there are various techniques that can be used to prove limits of specific types of functions. For example, the squeeze theorem can be used to prove limits of functions that are sandwiched between two other functions. The use of trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation can be helpful in proving limits of trigonometric and rational functions, respectively. Additionally, understanding the behavior of common functions, such as exponential and logarithmic functions, can also aid in proving their limits.